New to the craft...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolinasimo

Reaction score
I am getting a homebrew kit for Christmas. This is something I have wanted to do for a while. Does anyone have a great starter kit they can recommend? It doesnt need to be cheap (it is a present after all), just a good jumping off point.

Start with a beer style you like and without to many adjunct grains. Most of the ale style kits are good. Midwest supply and Northern Brewer offer good kits. I've only brewed with those 2 so I'm a bit bias.

All the equipment kits at the major online stores are fine. They seem to start at about $75 and go up. If you think you may really get into this hobby then I would buy a rather expensive kit. You eventually would buy most of the stuff anyways. If you are a bit unsure of the hobby and just want to give it a try then get the $75 kit.

As for your first recipe kit I would stay away from lagers, high gravity, and anything that requires aging. Any basic ale would be fine.

I'll echo others recommendations that Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, and Austin Hombrew Supply all offer great starter kits for very reasonable prices. If you are unsure of whether you will really enjoy the hobby, don't worry you will, a simple Mr. Beer kit coupled with the Mr. Beer thread will give you basics for a very small buy in. Welcome and good luck on your first batch!

Back