too late for pectic enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalamcor

Reaction score
ok i have everything going in primary d47 was pitched last night and of all the things i forget, i forgot to put the pectic enzyme in. will it hurt to add it now or should i wait for secondary when i add more peaches anyways. and will it do any good at that point.

after about two hours of searching various sites and forums i finaly found one poor soul that had added pectic enzyme durring active primary fermentation. after the addition of the pectic enzyme fermentation almost stopped all together, it took a couple days for it to build back up and resume its course

When is the correct time to add it? I ordered some for a prickley pear mead that I'm going to make soon.

i read one person adds it 12 hours after cambden tablets i dont know if you can add the both at the same time or not but youll want to add it prior to pitching yeast so i figure pitching same time or a little after cambden should do

When is the correct time to add it? I ordered some for a prickley pear mead that I'm going to make soon.

It's best to add it about 12 hours after any sulfites, and about 12 hours before pitching yeast. So, I sulfite my must and then 12 hours later add the pectic enzyme. Twelve hours later (24 hours from mixing and sulfiting the must), I pitch the yeast. You can do your yeast starter in the meantime, with unsulfited must, if you want. I usually use dry yeast and don't do yeast starters.

thanks for the info guys. i ended up adding pectic enzyme to secondary when i racked onto more peaches. it has started to clear up substantially. getting close to the time to rack for a third time to get it off of the new fruit and off of the 3/4" of lees.

Personally, I don't use the petin enzyme on the must itself. I am a fan of pureeing fruit and then adding the enzyme for a few hours and then runing it through a screen to remove pulp, taking the pulp and then freezing it, thawing it, then blenderizing in the enzyme to get just a little more, I have been able to extract a few cups of juice out of the pulp this way and have had no taste problems. I put the juice in the secondary. The enzyme does not do anything for taste and I get as much as I can out of the fruit. I also don't like the mess of the pulp in the mead. I know sounds like a lot of work but the results I have had it is worth it. It also must be said that I don't have a proper juicer so I just ran the puree and pulp through a regular fine screen that you would find in your grocery store.

Back