Kilt Lifter clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for this?...couldn't find it in the database. Let me clarify a little bit...I actually need an all extract or exract w/ grain recipe.

I have a Scotch Ale that I named Kiltlifter before I was aware that there was a commercial beer with the same name. I thought I was so clever, only to be disappointed :D.

I've never had the commercial version so I can't tell you if it's a clone or not.

I've never had that commercial version so I do not know how it compares to Mckewen, Belhaven or Traquair House. If it is similar to any of those look for Scotch Ales or Wee Heavies and start tweeking your recipe until you get close.

edit:
Deathbrewer, I was going to post Fred's recipe also, but at over twice the ABV of the commercial I not sure it would be much like the original

i tried a kilt lifter once at High Noon Saloon in Leavenworth, ks. It was awesome at 12% ABV

Im unsure but i think the wee heavy may be the same. /i am tempoted to make a call or a trip there to bend the ear fo the brewmaster.

niquejim said:
Deathbrewer, I was going to post Fred's recipe also, but at over twice the ABV of the commercial I not sure it would be much like the original
yeah, you're right. it's an all-grain recipe, too. whoops.

you could try this one: http://beer-smith.com/Recipes2/recipe_334.htm

if you can find munich liquid malt extract...

otherwise, just find another wee heavy recipe and go with that. just cuz it's not kilt lifter doesn't mean it's not good ;)

Hi Pyro,
Kilt Lifter(the commerical brand) is one of my favorites! I am into MAlty beers and my husband is into hoppy beers. I certainly appreciate his tase and will drink it but I do have my own taste too. Anyway, someone here posted a recipe without amounts listed and apparently it came from the original source, Brenden Moylan himself. He wasn't given any ingredient measurements to go by and was wondering about this. Well...
I played with "Beer Tools" and figured out what might be a close one. I did take liberties however. I LOVE Kilt Lifter. However, I wanted to see a slightly higher alocohol content and also a slightly hoppier version. Sooo, Here is what I came up with. And by the way Brew day is tomorrow 6/28/2009, so we will see in several weeks time if it was anywhere near what it should be.

American 2 row (Domestic), 16 lb
Crystal Malt 77 L, 1 lb
Crystal Malt 120 L, .5lb
Vienna Malt (Caravienne), 1lb
Munich Malt (caramunich) 1lb
Special B – Caramel Malt, .3lb
Acidulated Malt, .5lb
East Kent Golding, 2oz (40 Min in the boil)
East Kent Golding, 1oz Dry Hop
5 gal batch
Kettle Volume 6.46 gal
Wort boil 1.25 hr
Efficiency 68%
Attenuation 75%(apparent), Real (59.2%)
OG 1.093
TG 1.023
Color 20.17 SRM
Bitterness 30.5
Alc 9.26%
Cal 312.84/ 12 oz serving

well lookey there!
didn't know you were on this forum nb (she's my wife)

The recipe came out too malty, the hops were about right...
Barely had enough room in our 10 gallon mashtun

Which Kilt Lifter are you talking about? Their is Pike's Kilt Lifter but that is a 6.5% scotch style ale. It is some seriously good stuff. I know someone from here was working on a clone of that last year but not sure if he ever brewed it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/pike-kilt-lifter-ruby-ale-138731/

I think they're talking about Moylan's Kiltlifter, which is probably my favorite beer. I've been looking for a clone of this too. Oh well, I guess I'm just going to have to drink some more to figure out what's in there :D

I think they're talking about Moylan's Kiltlifter, which is probably my favorite beer. I've been looking for a clone of this too. Oh well, I guess I'm just going to have to drink some more to figure out what's in there :D

I was just wondering which one the OP was talking about. I love me some scotch ales. Mmm.

yuck...didn't like this one. but hey, never turn down trying a new beer. just wasn't my cup of "beer"

If you go to www.moylans.com they have a PDF Spec sheet under each beer they make,with all the malts,hops, yeast, OG,etc... I was looking at it last night to see what hops they use in Moylander. Pretty cool website:mug:

bferullo said:
yuck...didn't like this one. but hey, never turn down trying a new beer. just wasn't my cup of "beer"

What didn't you like about it? Did you use the recipe at the start? I want to try and creat Moylans Kiltlifter and the super hop it (I actually want to creat Eel River Triple Exultation, the malt profile is similar but more hops) and this is the only clone I've found. Please offer more detailed feedback

I like to call it 'skirt lifter' for it's wonderful side effects :ban:

Anyway WLP001 Chico yeast is a must to get this beer right. The flavor has to come from the malt and not the yeast.

I am interested if you still have the recipe. I just bought all my keg equipment and don't have the cash for ag equipment right now.

Thanks
Jonathan

Back