Off Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian3588

Reaction score
I brewed a Murphy's Stout all grain Clone 4 weeks ago. I had it in the primary for 9 days and racked to secondary for 8 days. I was following what Beersmith program had me do. After some research I learned to keep it in secondary longer. After 2 weeks in bottling the beer kind of tastes "grainy" "Sour" and a little like soap. I think that it is bc of my bottling process. I use star san and hot water to fill up my bottle and pour it out and then fill and cap my bottle. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!!!

First off give it at least another week, more than likely what you're tasting is simply that the beer is still green, and the "sourness" that you perceive is actually carbolic bite, co2 tends to have a sour "tang" to it, and since you beer more than likely isn't fully carbed, you're tasting the free floating co2 in the headspace. The co2 needs to fully develop, and then chilling gets it into solution.

We recommend that you wait a minimum of 3 weeks for normal gravity 12 ounce beers that you've stored at or above 70 degrees. Beers stored lower than 70 and bigger beers simply take longer.

If you look at the thousands of threads on here like yours, you will notice the common denominator among new brewers, almost all of them report that they are opening the beers before three weeks. And they usually come back after and point out that now that the beer has aged, everything is fine.

Time is your friend.

The facts that you are drinking a beer that you only brewed 4 weeks ago should be your clue. Especially for a stout. My normal beers are 8 weeks from grain to glass. 4 weeks in some form of extended primary or primary secondary combination, and another 4 weeks to carb and condition in either a bottle or keg.

Thank you very much. Is there such a thing as too much starsan?

As long as you emptied the bottle you are fine with starsan (providing you mixed it correctly).

I usually have my wife dunking bottles into a sink full of starsan and then setting them on a bottling tree while I fill the bottles and my friend caps them. They only drain a second or two before I'm filling usually. Everything is fine.

Nope, because the minute starsan comes into contact with the yeast it breaks down into many of the same benign compounds found in most soft drinks, and the yeast it it. It is no longer "starsan" as we know it, it's yeast poop. That's why it's a no-rinse sanitizer. It breaks down.

Back