Too much alcohol! Can I dilute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrayriver

Reaction score
So I tapped my Belgian Golden Strong and it has good flavor, but burning alcohol finish that is off putting. Is it possible to add water to the keg to thin it out a bit? Sounds crazy but it seems it would make it more drinkable. I would have to just put it under pressure to play with the carbonation. If so would I boil and put it in hot, let it cool first. Never done it or heard of it but it seems to make sense...sort of. What would you do?

Your logic makes sense, but if you add water, it's gonna thin your beer out a bit. This may dry your beer out a little too much and create an even more undesirable beer.

If your FG is above 1.020, I think you'll have some wiggle room to add some water. However, I wouldn't drop it to below 1.010.

Let it sit for a bit. After six months I bet you're going to really like it, a year will be even better. The ABV taste will mellow as time goes by.

What's the og fg and fermentation temps. I know this is a high abv style but if you had too high fermentation temps you might have fusel alcohols that stick out like a sore thumb and are very harsh tasting and smelling lol

mrk305 said:
That is why the ancient armys traveled with beer. The sailors had their beer and grog. It helps ugly people get laid and helps white people dance and sing kereoke.

My OG was 1.075 and FG 1.015. Fermentation temps 70-74. The ABV comes in at 7.9, which is low for the style-more in the blonde range, but the as I said the alcohol is a bit burning in the nose and tongue. The beer is young at five weeks and I am sure a few more months would mellow it out. Thats the problem with kegging-space, and I only have two taps. I guess I need to bottle and so I can be a bit more patient or buy a truck load of carboys. I think I will bottle this batch (with my counter pressure system) and let it mature so I can get my next batch in the keg. Just for kicks I brewed the same recipe but with Abbey yeast instead of the Golden Strong yeast (White Labs) and it turned out great without the alcohol burn. Thanks for all your input.

Ferm temp may be a wee bit too high. I think fusel alcohols are produced in that temperature range.

Bottle it and let it age. The alcohol taste/smell should become more subtle with time.

Yup either bottle or buy another corny keg and let age. It might age a little quicker in bulk sitting in it's current keg.

My experience with most high gravity Belgians is to let them cellar/age at least 3 months. 6 months is a good spot to start drinking, and even at the 14 month mark my first is still evolving. They are great to brew, package, and let sit. Then wipe the dust off the bottles and drink up!

Duvel clone is on my short list for this fall. I think that's around the 8% mark isn't it?

you can age it in the keg as well it you have enough kegs. let it sit at fermentation temps or cooler.

how long has it been carbed? also have you tried any unibrue belgians? that "harsh" alcohol taste might be normal.

Back