Athol Massachusetts craft brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oobuck

Reaction score
I am headed from Fort Collins, Colorado out to Athol, Massachusetts to visit family in a couple of weeks and I am looking to check out some local breweries. Anybody have any suggestions?

Wachusett Brewery isn't that far from where you'll be. There are other breweries in the area, but that's the first that comes to mind...

There's also a John Harvard's Brew Pub in Framingham (on rt. 9 in the Shoppers World plaza) if you head out this way... :D

Massachusetts has, in my not so humble opinion, one of the best beer cultures in the country. Check out the Mass Brewers Guild Website: http://www.massbrewersguild.org

In Boston (less than an hour away, also accessible by train) there's the Sam Adams & Harpoon Breweries. SA is very tourist focused (IMO) while Harpoon is more about their brewery (Sam Adams is more historic, so both are really worth a visit). Harpoon has a much better tasting policy/process at the end, where you can easily sample 10-15 different items on tap. Sam Adams shares out 4 samples. Both are free/suggested donation. You could take the commuter rail from Athol right to within walking distance of Harpoon (if you like walking).

If I'm not mistaken, there are a couple basic brew pubs right in Athol; Cambridge Brewing Company (in Cambridge) is another nice one to check out. I don't like John Harvard's at all, but I know many people who like it.

Blue Hills Brewery might do tours--I know they do events on occasion. And, if you're in the area on October 1, the annual "Brew at the Zoo" fest is happening.

Back