Irish red ale in primary-Temp question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So i brewed my third batch yesterday and everything is working out much better than the first brew. I kind of have my system down now. Anyway when I finished the boil (3 gal, 2 at end of boil) I added 3 gallons of room temp water which cooled it to around 110 and racked it to primary as I ran out of room in my pot. I then sat it outside in cold water and chilled it for another 10 or 15 minutes. At this point I noticed my thermometer wasn't working so I pitched the yeast as I guessed it was around 75-80. I was worried it was too hot but an hour later I had active fermentation and today the krausen has fallen back. It sits now at around 78 degrees? I know during fermentation it heats up but I am wondering if it will drop to normal temps or whether I should help it out with a cold water bath.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

TheJadedDog said:
I'd try to cool it a bit or you might get off flavors.
Thanks, I put it in a tub of cold water with a couple frozen packs and this morning it is sitting at around 70. I should be good to go...that was probably the quickest fermentation I have had yet...Gotta love when you don't sit and worry about whether it's going to start or not:D

Dan

Back