Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
britishbloke said:
Terrorist's have been known to buy large quantities of apple juice. Watch it! :D

Yeah, they use it to make sticky bombs...not very deadly, but really annoying to mop up. :D

125 pages... does this thread hold the record for longest in HBT history?

Or does that go to last season's Fantasy Football?

I can't believe I read the whole thing - slow day at the office I guess!

I'll be mixing up some apfelwein this weekend. Thanks to Ed for founding this cult :D

Would strongbow Dry cider be comparable? Once i get all my AG stuff bought I plan on making this, just want to make sure ill like it first.

Ryanh1801 said:
Would strongbow Dry cider be comparable? Once i get all my AG stuff bought I plan on making this, just want to make sure ill like it first.

No not so much. This Apfelwein is stronger and dryer. If you wanted to make cider more like strong bow. I would use the following.

5 gal of pasteurized juice
1 or 2 cans concentrate (optional)
2 oz of yeast nutrient
1 pack of nottingham yeast.​

I'm guessing 3.5-4% ABV with juice only

If you want to make it stronger add more concentrate or corn sugar. The concentrate will make it sweeter, sugar will make it dryer.

I don't know the ABV effect per can of the concentrate. Corn sugar by the lb will add 2.5% ABV.

:mug:

Thats kind of what i figured, strongbow was dryer than other ciders i have had, but it still seemed pretty sweet. I asked the waitress if they had apfelwein and I just got a weird look. This was at the one bar i though might have it, they have over 200 different beers.

Maybe once edwort stops playing around as an amature and goes legit we'll see the Apfelwein handle on our local taps ;)

mike

MLynchLtd said:
Maybe once edwort stops playing around as an amature and goes legit we'll see the Apfelwein handle on our local taps ;)

Someday I WILL open a brewpub and serve great beer and great food.

I call it retirement.

I just saw my first yeast-snow storm in both of my apfelwein's. :ban:

I never saw this before, I always keep the carboys covered with t-shirt or a towel and I keep the light they see to a minimum.

In this case since its Apfelwein there no problems with getting light-struck hops. I put a flashlight up to the carboy looking for fruit sediment only to find the snow storm going. - Apfelwein Snowglobe - Kind of like what it been doing outside all day!!

If you don't know what I'm talking about look at BierMunchers post 1048, page 105.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860&page=105

BTW - Very Cool post BierMuncher. :mug:

I can't believe how much large white particals are floating around....

I've never seen a yeast storm before with Montrachet yeast. Just lots of bubbles.

Here's what Montrachet fermentation looks like at 55 hours after pitching dry yeast.

Notice the lack of kreuzen or foam, but a very active air lock full of vodka.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

Made my first batch, fermented for about 5 weeks and just bottled it last Tuesday, priming with 3/4 cup of priming sugar. So it's been in bottles for about 9 days, cracked one open and there is only a hint of carbonation. I've heard to wait 3 weeks (unrealistic, come on guys this is my first batch I have to try it out ;)) so I guess I'm just confirming that in another week or so it will get more carbonation. Thoughts?

Keep in mind, if you have a drink thats 8.5% alcohol, there isn't going to be very much of a head on it. The booze kills head retention.

Yes - I've heard 3 weeks is standard since the yeast works slower. Keep the carbing temp between 59-86. Keeping it in the higher end will help it carb faster.

Nothing says you have to wait for it carb.

since there is no carbonation, it can't really go stale can it? My question is, would I be able to keep the original apple juice bottles to put the Apfelwein in?

JayMckeever said:
since there is no carbonation, it can't really go stale can it? My question is, would I be able to keep the original apple juice bottles to put the Apfelwein in?

I've done that before I had kegs or bottles, but I kept them in the fridge. After 4 or 6 weeks, the bottles will still build up a little pressure even in the fridge. The problem you'll run into is how quick you drink a gallon of Apfelwein. :D

Sorry, but with so many pages to review I just thought I would ask the questions.
1. Can I pitch a new batch on the old yeast cake?
2. I purchased some lactose how much should I use for the 5 gallons to sweeten?

I checked the gravity yesterday SWMBO really liked it uncarbonated with 1/2 7-up. I am going to try to bottle condition my first batch.
I can tell this is going to be popular so want to make another right away.

Thanks Ed !!!

1. Can I pitch a new batch on the old yeast cake?
Yes. I've done it, but it has not fallen completely clear yet and it's 6 weeks old. I'm reserving judgment till I try it. As it is now, I won't do it again.

2. I purchased some lactose how much should I use for the 5 gallons to sweeten?

I don't sweeten mine. Perhaps someone will chime in here.

I checked the gravity yesterday SWMBO really liked it uncarbonated with 1/2 7-up

That's the way lots of Germans drink it.

Put together my first batch of apfelwein tonight. 5 gallons of cider, 2 pounds of corn sugar, and a pack of Montrachet yeast.

What should my OG be?

NOVA Brewer said:
Put together my first batch of apfelwein tonight. 5 gallons of cider, 2 pounds of corn sugar, and a pack of Montrachet yeast.

What should my OG be?

Congrats! Depending on your juice, it should be between 1.061 and 1.065.

Welcome to the Club, the Apfelwein Club.

First off, I have not read this whole post so I don't know if this was covered or not. The way we get into the 1.05-1.06 / low 30's brix with fresh apples and NO sugar is:
1. Freeze fresh apples 2. Thaw apples, cell walls broken, squishy fruit that presses easily, and when pressed for juice runs almost completely clear and un-oxidized 3. Freeze juice 4. Thaw juice slowly in ~38F temp so that the sweet syrup runs off and frozen water(ice) is left 5. Thaw until juice(which should be beautifully clear) reaches deisred brix/OG - the level will drop as it goes, but of course you will be getting more volume 6. Pitch wine yeast
We get alcohol into the high teens and there is wonderful fresh apple flavor and sweetness. Have not carbonated any of it yet, all still. Of course this is a different product but I have told a lot of beer/wine guys this process who had no idea it could be so easy. You just need a bunch of apples and some way to press them.
Anyway, this is a great post, keep up the great discussion. :mug:

What a success at my home brew club last night!!!!

I brought 3 bottles of Edworts Apfelwein. Everybody that tried it liked it's taste and a few asked for the recipe. They enjoyed it so much to the point that I was told to enter it in the Iowa State Fair competition! The thought being there isn't very many good ciders to be had and this could easily take 1st Place. (At only 3 weeks in the bottle)

One couple who said they don't like ciders said it was pretty good and that they had given up making them because the were way too dry. This may have renewed an interest in trying to make it again.

My apfelwein was made to Edwort's recipe with only one minor twist. I used 1 lb of lactose sugar with 3/4 cup (5 oz) of corn sugar at bottling. The lactose I think took some of the dryness out and also left a nice thin foamy head on top. ;)

Thanks again Ed!!! - I'm gonna have to get another glass in front of SWMBO.

BTW - The 3 glass rule was not necessary last night!!!! :rockin:

Why did you change your avator? I liked the old one, I'm gonna have to get use to seeing Dr Evil.

Alright, I give up. I've heard so freakin' much about this stuff that I decided to tie up a bucket for 6 weeks on account of 5+ gallons of apfelwein for 11 bucks! I have 5 gallons of 100% juice (it looks cloudy in the jug: do I need pectic enzyme?). I couldn't find the Montcheret yeast so I have Lavlin in the grey packet; I've used it for cider before. Should have this baby rockin' in the next hour. Here's to your legacy Ed, :mug:

PS if you guys can get spartan brand juice it's on sale right now 99 cents for 64 oz!

Schlenkerla said:
What a success at my home brew club last night!!!!

I brought 3 bottles of Edworts Apfelwein. Everybody that tried it liked it's taste and a few asked for the recipe. They enjoyed it so much to the point that I was told to enter it in the Iowa State Fair competition! The thought being there isn't very many good ciders to be had and this could easily take 1st Place. (At only 3 weeks in the bottle)

One couple who said they don't like ciders said it was pretty good and that they had given up making them because the were way too dry. This may have renewed an interest in trying to make it again.

My apfelwein was made to Edwort's recipe with only one minor twist. I used 1 lb of lactose sugar with 3/4 cup (5 oz) of corn sugar at bottling. The lactose I think took some of the dryness out and also left a nice thin foamy head on top. ;)

Thanks again Ed!!! - I'm gonna have to get another glass in front of SWMBO.

BTW - The 3 glass rule was not necessary last night!!!! :rockin:

Why did you change your avator? I liked the old one, I'm gonna have to get use to seeing Dr Evil.
Did you use the 1 lb of lactose in addition to the 2 lbs of corn sugar or in lieu of..?

Reidman said:
Did you use the 1 lb of lactose in addition to the 2 lbs of corn sugar or in lieu of..?

I used the 2lbs of dextrose at the git go and watched it go down to 1.000 FG. Then I primed with 5oz = 3/4 cup cornsugar and 1lb lactose. Make sure to boil both. The lactose will not mix well w/o heating it up.

Schlenkerla said:
I used the 2lbs of dextrose at the git go and watched it go down to 1.000 FG. Then I primed with 5oz = 3/4 cup cornsugar and 1lb lactose. Make sure to boil both. The lactose will not mix well w/o heating it up.

Thanks. I might try this in the future. I haven't yet tasted the original, it's still in the fermenter.

WhatsOnTap said:
Alright, I give up. I've heard so freakin' much about this stuff that I decided to tie up a bucket for 6 weeks on account of 5+ gallons of apfelwein for 11 bucks! I have 5 gallons of 100% juice (it looks cloudy in the jug: do I need pectic enzyme?). I couldn't find the Montcheret yeast so I have Lavlin in the grey packet; I've used it for cider before. Should have this baby rockin' in the next hour. Here's to your legacy Ed, :mug:

PS if you guys can get spartan brand juice it's on sale right now 99 cents for 64 oz!

It might clear up w/o the pectic enzyme. I understand its best to add it before pitching yeast. You can add it to the secondary. If you haven't mixed this stuff up yet add some yeast nutrient too. At least 1/2 tsp per gal.

Add me to the list of newbie apfelwein brewers......only twist I made was using lalvin 1118 instead of montrachet...only because homebrew shop doesnt carry it....cant wait to try it..I will chime in on how it is going in the weeks ahead........Thank You Ed for the recipe.

Boy - I drank two pints of this stuff and stopped for an hour to let the buzz catch up. Glad I did....

Tastes Great, Less filling, Gets You Messed Up Faster Than Expected. :cross:

2 pints = 1 sixer of BMC

Schlenkerla said:
It might clear up w/o the pectic enzyme. I understand its best to add it before pitching yeast. You can add it to the secondary. If you haven't mixed this stuff up yet add some yeast nutrient too. At least 1/2 tsp per gal.

I put in 1 tbs. yeast nutrient, but decided to let things clear up on their own first. If, in 4 weeks it does not, I'll add some pectic enzyme. I was just too geeked to get this batch rolling, plus I read that PE is okay to add later if needed. The airlock smells so good, I'm excited to get this one on tap. Thanks! :ban:

This was EASY!!!

One question (and I think I know the answer)

I cheated a bit and used frozen concentrate rather than bottled juice. I don't see that being a problem, my question is (Dumb I know) but the concentrate was still semi frozen (wanted to get started as soon as I got home from the store) and the primary it's in is about 50 degrees.

I assume once things warm up the yeast will start working, and worst case I have another packet.

Are my assumptions correct? to cold s ok, just heat that kills the little buggers?

OK On some of my previous posts, I had problems with fermentation well not seeing any activity in the airlock. I made 5 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallon ale pale bucket.
I opened it up this weekend to take a hydrometer reading and it is down to 1.014 I had an OG of around 1.065 I think it was so it is fermenting, but never saw any action in the airlock what so ever and still dont. It tatsed good and hopefully turns out good.
I am going to rack it to a secondary after 4 or 5 weeks and let it sit in the secondary for another month or so then bottle.
What have you guys done for aging wise in the carboys? Should I get if off the yeast cake after a month? Or is it ok to leave it in the primary for a couple months?

I kegged mine last thursday after sitting in hte fermenter for a little over 2 months... I have only tried it uncarbonated and it wasnt that bad... I am going to see how it tastes after being carbonated...

I just got back from Frankfurt, Germany in Jan. and it was Apflewein time! Every place that you walked into had a version of their own home brewed apflewein.

I just started making wine and mead about a year ago and was planning to look into an apflewein recipe at some point - sounds like no time like the present!

Has anyone tried this with fresh apple cider?

Thanks for the recipe!

Back