Dry Hopping in Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cytokine

Reaction score
I did a search and read extensively about this and did not find a direct answer to my question.

Please reassure me that all will be well or tell I'm screwed up front.

I racked to a keg on Friday night and tossed in 1 oz of pellet hops.

Will the pellets sink to the bottom and get spat out in the first pull or two off the keg or will this gum up the works?

I'm looking back at this as a brain fart and want to know what I can anticipate when I tap this in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

It's 50/50 at this point.

If anywhere, it'll probly foul up at the poppet. If that does happen you could bleed off the pressure, pull the post, and remove the poppet without having to disturb the beer in the keg. Re-pressurize and dispense as usual. Just remember and mark the keg that you pulled the poppet or you might get a foam jet on the ceiling when you go to swap it out.

Regardless, I'd wait til it plugs to do anything.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Hop pellets contain fairly large chunks of leaf and other bits when rehydrated, at least that's the way it appears in the boil.

Not sure why I thought this would be a good idea. It was around 1 in the morning and I was pretty f'ing tired when I did it.

I'll take a wait and see attitude.

Back