Nøgne Ø Porter (a new favorite!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I only tried this beer because of my Norwegian heritage. It was expensive, and I didn't have high hopes. But...

Holy crap is this good beer! It arrived in a 16.9 oz bottle with a funky looking black label with purple lettering. The pour was deep brown with a nice tan head. At 7% ABV, it's a big beer, but it's also extremely complex in flavor. Ripe cherries, roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, and a hint of American hops...INTENSE!!! I was surprised to see Centennial and Northern Brewer hops listed on the bottle, but apparently the Norwegian homebrewer who started the brewery was inspired by the American craft brew industry.

The website gives a brief description of the beer, along with a rather complete ingredients list:

16.5° P, 30 IBU, 7% ALC/VOL.

In this quite dark ale, dark malts provide flavors of coffee and dried fruit. Recommended serving temperature 10°C/50°F. Try with dark chocolate, cheese, or red meat dishes

Ingredients: Maris Otter, Munich, caramel, black malt, and chocolate malt; Centennial and Northern Brewer hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

PDB-PRD@1087411@Image_M@akaVWliedbBbldlr@DSC_1541-2_hvit_bg_200px.jpg

nogne-o.com

A clone of this beer may be the brew hut's inaugural brew.

Glad to hear about it! I had been curious about Nogne for a while after reading about teaming with (Stone?) other breweries.

I may have to seek some out. I love stouts...

Great beer from a really good brewery.

For anyone in the Phila metro, there is going to be a draft event @ Monks:

Meet The Brewer - Nøgne Ø
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:30-7:30PM cash bar

Meet Kjetil Jikiun, brewer of amazing beers from Norway. Nøgne Ø is rated as one of the top breweries in the Scandinavian countries. We'll debut their draft beer in America and we'll be offering all their beers by the glass & bottle. Meet the man behind these legendary beers. This event will rock! DO NOT MISS THIS!!
Monk's Cafe - Events

I would love to try it, but I wouldn't know what to ask for.:eek: "Noonyeh Ooo?" "Nawgneh Oh?"

I've had the porter, imperial stout, winter ale, peculiar yule, pale ale, and the brown. Oh, and the collaboration with Stone/Jolly Pumpkin. None of their beers disappoint, and their Imperial stout and the winter ale stand out as favorites. I'm looking forward to the two new batches of the collaboration with Stone. One was just brewed at JP, and will be in barrels until the end of 2010.

It's pronounced "Nuhgna uh" (As in "Upper") Meaning "Naked Island" in Norwegian.

It's one of my favourites too. But as you say it's very expensive, even here in Norway.

if you get a chance check out their 1st or 2nd edition dark horizon's. They are huge RIS's, and have a price to match. However I got the opportunity to sample both of them side by side and they were amazing. Super complex RIS, and different than the large RIS and double imperial stouts you find from US craft brewers.

Cheers!

The porter actually won 1st place in the robust porter category at world beer awards or championship or what it's called again. I have the recipe, though. Got it from a friend of the brewer, but I'm not sure whether he'd like that I give it away. But PM me and I can share it. :) Lovely porter.

Well, dammit... Here it is:

Nøgne Ø Porter

5 gals. OG: 1.069

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81.5 10.00 lbs. Maris Otter
7.6 0.93 lbs. Crystal 55L
4.7 0.58 lbs. Munich Malt
3.1 0.37 lbs. Chocolate Malt
3.1 0.37 lbs. Black Patent Malt

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.88 oz. Centennial Whole 7.20 26.0 60 min.
2.65 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 9.00 26.0 15 min.

Yeast: Don't remember if it's Wyeast 1099 Whitbread or 1098 British Ale

Mash at 67'C (figure out the imp. mes.) for 90 mins

It seems that my IBU's are way off from what it says on the bottle... =P This is the recipe I got though. Also, the recipe didn't have any lovibond measures on the crystal, but this is the most likely as it's the easiest available one over here.

Nøgne ø only count the first hop addition into the IBU calculation. An the yeast is WLP007 dry english. I will attempt to brew this ASAP

Back