Do you like filet mignon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
But hate to pay $19.99/lb for it, or $35 at a steakhouse? Buy yourself a whole tenderloin (PSMO - Peeled with Side Meat/Muscle On) and learn how to butcher it.

This glorious bounty cost me $25 at $4.99/lb. Took me about 15 - 20 minutes to butcher. I used the chain (the long strip along the bottom) in a beer-based recipe that I'll be sharing in a different thread.

meat.jpg

I'm sure a lot of homebrewers already know this, but I thought I'd share in case you don't :)

-Joe

I've done that in the past. It really only takes a few minutes and it's so worth it. I always eye the meat at Costco; their prices are usually pretty good. Hmmm... I need to stop there this weekend...

So what's this put your cost at for a pound of filet?

FWIW, I'm a lazy SOB, but if I wasn't, I would post up my recipe for quasi beef wellington that takes about 5 minutes to prepare...

Well.. to give you the idea, start with hamburger and Brunschweiger (or other pate-like meat paste). Mix the two together, split it up into over-sized meatballs, soak them in sherry, and then wrap it in a puff pastry. 350 for 30 minutes, IIRC. It ain't quite beef wellington, but it's really cheap and easy and fast to make...

wow! $4.99/lb for tenderloin is crazy cheap! I don't think I've ever seen it that cheap at the grocery stores...and I always look for tenderloin also! lol

So what's this put your cost at for a pound of filet?
There was very little waste, so I'd guess around $5.50/lb.

If we just want to talk about filet mignon, let's say there are 10 good filets there and we throw the rest of the meat in the garbage. That works out to $2.50/filet (since I paid $25 for the whole loin). Guessing 6oz/filet, that works out to $6.67/lb of filet.

-Joe

wow! $4.99/lb for tenderloin is crazy cheap! I don't think I've ever seen it that cheap at the grocery stores...and I always look for tenderloin also! lol
Generally it's $8.99 - $10.99, but my local stores occasionally run sales. I happened to be in the store getting eggs and milk, saw the sign for $4.99 tenderloin and almost broke and ankle getting over there ;)

-Joe

Do you have any tricks/recipe in cooking it without it turning to rubber? I'm not talking wrapping it in bacon. Someway that doesn't involve too much fat and the BBQ is out of the question this time of year around here.

Do you have any tricks/recipe in cooking it without it turning to rubber? I'm not talking wrapping it in bacon. Someway that doesn't involve too much fat and the BBQ is out of the question this time of year around here.

Pan sear it, then stick it in the over for about 7 minutes. You want it rare. MMmmmmm bloody steak.

SWMBO and I were eating at a nice restaurant on Valentine's day before heading to the strip club. I'd ordered a filet mignon stuffed with Boursin cheese. On the way out to the club, we were talking about dinner and she commented that when I gave her a bite of the steak, it must have had a lot of fat on it. I told her no way. There wasn't any fat on the steak. As she described it, I realized she was describing the consistency of the meat... all the way through. It melted in your mouth. Unbelievable.

Not a huge fan of filet mignon, but for those prices I get behind it when I can get a whole loin. Typically, I go for a ribeye.

Regardless of how you cook a steak always take it out of the fridge an hour or two before you start cooking. This way it gets to room temp so you aren't cooking out the coolness so you can have a perfectly cooked steak. Also, never cook a steak beyond medium - If you do you are asking for rubber.

If you are cooking in doors just sear it. Heat up a skillet, hot but not smoking, (about 450* F) then add the oil put the steak on and don't touch it until it releases and is nice and crusty. Flip and repeat, the steak will sweat a little bit when medium-rare. Cooking time will vary based on thickness - I have never needed to use an oven for this method before unless the steak was over 1.5" thick.

You'd have to try very hard to turn these to rubber ;) Cook it to medium doneness at the most. I cook mine rare to medium rare. Steaks like these just need a little salt and pepper. Give it a good hard sear on both sides in a ripping hot pan then throw the whole pan in the oven to finish to desired doneness. Take them out and let rest while you build a pan sauce with the leftover drippings. Remember that the pan handle will be 400 degrees F :)

-Joe

edit: I'm amused that we all typed the same thing - the two posts above weren't here when I started my post. Buncha meat lovers 'round here!

My local "upscale" grocery store has this on sale at $3.99/lb starting tomorrow. I might need to pick one up.

How are you going to keep all those fillets? Freeze them?

How are you going to keep all those fillets? Freeze them?
I put a few in the fridge for use in the next few days. The rest gets put in Foodsaver vacuum bags and frozen.

When I want to use them I'll put them in the fridge the night before if I remember. Otherwise I'll thaw in the bag in a water bath.

-Joe

I love filet.

But since it is commonly prepared wrapped in pig I don't get to enjoy it often. I may have to visit a butcher to get the cut sans bacon.

I am actually about to go to BJ's and get a tenderloin to make steak au poive for my wife's birthday tonight. Wish I could get it for that cheap though. I think I usually pay 6.99

There was very little waste, so I'd guess around $5.50/lb.

If we just want to talk about filet mignon, let's say there are 10 good filets there and we throw the rest of the meat in the garbage. That works out to $2.50/filet (since I paid $25 for the whole loin). Guessing 6oz/filet, that works out to $6.67/lb of filet.

-Joe

WTF dude? Throw the rest away? At least grind it up and maybe get a few meatballs out of them and make a meatball sandwich or something. It's just blasphemous to throw away good meat.

I'm not a big fan of the tenderloin. Of course it is tender, but it does not hold as much flavor. Given a choice between a Filet and a New York, I'll have the NY, thank you very much.

That said, my favorite cut is the T-bone, best of both worlds. Plus you get all of that sweet meat next to the bone.

WTF dude? Throw the rest away? At least grind it up and maybe get a few meatballs out of them and make a meatball sandwich or something. It's just blasphemous to throw away good meat.

hahaha I don't waste a single molecule of that beautiful piece of meat. Even the chain, which many people toss out, gets made into stir fry or Philly steak sandwiches.

I was just hypothetically saying that even if I was stupid enough to only keep the 10 filets it would still be crazy cheap.

-Joe

To the OP details on how to perform this magical act?
I was trying to find a site with some good pictures, but this is the best I found. Here are the steps I take when butchering a whole loin:

1. Get your workplace ready - big board, sharp knives, bowls for receiving finished meat and waste. I use a 7" flexible fileting knife for all of the trimming work. The narrow, flexible blade is perfect for getting under the silverskin and trimming fat.

2. Remove the loin from the bag (duh!), draining most of the liquid into the sink.

3. Lay the loin on the board and give it a good look over to decide on a plan of attack. Feel it up and find the chain. It's a "tube" of meat attached along the side - it's along the bottom of the board in the picture above.

4. Remove the chain. You should be able to easily separate it from the main loin with your fingers, using the knife to cut any connecting tissue. Remove large pieces of fat and connective tissue and put the chain away.

5. Remove the silverskin from the loin. That's the long, tough, silvery membrane that covers much of one side of the loin. Get your knife under it, rotate the knife a bit so the edge of the knife is scraping the underside of the membrane and work the knife along. Try not to cut into the meat too much :) It won't come off in one piece (unless you're very lucky or much better than I am) but remove as much as you can.

6. Remove any visible fat.

7. Remove the little roast from the large end of the loin. It'll be fairly apparent where it separates from the main loin. You can see it on the top left of the board in my photo above.

8. Cut the remaining loin how you like. You can cut it into a Chateaubriand and a few filets, or just do all thick filets like I usually do. Use a long slicing knife (I use this one) and try to cut it in one smooth stroke.

There you are! Next time I butcher one I can do a photo tutuorial.

Any questions? :)

-Joe

There you are! Next time I butcher one I can do a photo tutuorial.

Any questions? :)

-Joe

Just a suggestion. Don't butcher it. Cut it. Butchering is done by those that don't know what they're doing. We meatcutters can attest to that. Other than that little bit of semantics, it looks great!:)

Just a suggestion. Don't butcher it. Cut it. Butchering is done by those that don't know what they're doing. We meatcutters can attest to that. Other than that little bit of semantics, it looks great!:)
hah, very good ;)

Ever watch "Hell's Kitchen"? I watched a guy seriously butcher a loin the other night. He literally ended up with more waste than kept meat. I was so sad.

-Joe

edit for too many literallys :)

I have a question for you: what do you properly call it when going from the primal cut to finished cuts of meat? Is my terminology all over the map? :)

I'll definitely take any advice from a pro, and I hope you'll be around to critique my technique when I break down my next piece of meat.

Thanks!

-Joe

Oh man your making me super hungry, I might have to bust out some steaks tonight, I have half of a beer in the freezer that I should be chowing down on.

Here was tonight's dish, in keeping with the pancake theme. Potato pancakes and a pan seared filet. Someone mentioned bacon before so I had to wrap them up in some.

taterpancakes.jpg

-Joe

oooh!

I always forget about potato pancakes! Just look at the way that's sopping up the juices from the filet.

I think the grill is going to get fired up for the first time in '09 this weekend. :D

oooh!

I always forget about potato pancakes! Just look at the way that's sopping up the juices from the filet.

I think the grill is going to get fired up for the first time in '09 this weekend. :D

first time in 09 are you insane? LOL

I have used altons method several times for beef tenderloin. Dry Aged Angus is the way to go, however some have been better than others. It all depends on what the cow eats, and its genetics. Try the beef tenderloins from sams club, they are USDA choice and are very good also.

The one I got from sams smelled like butter in raw form, and you can taste slight buttery notes in the meat after preparation.

All in all I actually prefer porterhouse over filet mignon. It has better marbling usually, and puts down fat on charcoal for better smoke flavor.

I'm not a big fan of the tenderloin. Of course it is tender, but it does not hold as much flavor. Given a choice between a Filet and a New York, I'll have the NY, thank you very much.

That said, my favorite cut is the T-bone, best of both worlds. Plus you get all of that sweet meat next to the bone.

Porterhouse is the T-bones big brother. It has better cut and more on the tenderloin side.

I love filet.

But since it is commonly prepared wrapped in pig I don't get to enjoy it often. I may have to visit a butcher to get the cut sans bacon.

I've never seen it wrapped in bacon in a decent steak restaurant, from the high-end places like Manny's (MN), Peter Luger's (NY) and Ray's the Steaks (DC) to the more mediocre chain places like Morton's and Ruth's Chris (the latter commits the sin of slathering the steak in butter unless you specify otherwise, but not bacon).

The only place I've ever seen that is the overpriced single-serving filet in the plastic cup thing at the supermarket. Usually you can get a better filet, cheaper, without the bacon if you visit the meat counter.

Back