My Experience With The Coors Lite Home Draft (Video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ibintinknockin said:
may be a dumb question but, are you pulling the handle all the way to you when you pour? because i know if you don't you get a lot of foam.

Yeah I made sure it was open all the way.

I've been collecting the Miller ones... I did a little bottling tonight! 9G of homebrew patiently aging... :)

2567-dsc01363.jpg

Nice! I've been wanting to keg for some time now, but didn't have the money to go full scale, so I think I'm going to try this. One question I have though, is do most people only have to use 1 16g cartridge to dispense all the beer? I've read through this entire thread, and I saw one person saying they needed 3 to dispense all the beer. Thats not very cost effective, since the cartridges cost like $2 a piece.
I plan on carbonating the beer naturally, not force-carbing.
Thanks

I carbed mine naturally as mentioned in the videos and was able to dispense fully with 1 cartridge. If you choose to force carb it, it will take 2 or more cartridges. My guess is that the person that used 3 either had a leak or force carbed.

I carbed mine naturally as mentioned in the videos and was able to dispense fully with 1 cartridge. If you choose to force carb it, it will take 2 or more cartridges. My guess is that the person that used 3 either had a leak or force carbed.

Awesome thanks for the quick reply. Do you use threaded or non-threaded?

+1 for a likely leak. Unfortunately the neck size of the cartridge that is included is slightly larger than the most of the neck size of the available cartridges. The threaded ones have a slightly larger neck and they seem to work better. Others have reported luck using several rubber o-rings stacked up around the neck of the non threaded cartridges.

Has anyone naturally carbed in these, with the tap attached as the bottle cap (but no CO2 cart.)?

Was reading in another area of the forums that someone reported the tap failed under the pressure of carbing, destroying the tap and spraying the beer out all over.

Of course, I read this about 30 min after bottling a batch of weizen, primed for 3.5 vol CO2, split between a MLHD and 1 liter swing-tops.

I'm not too worried about the glass bottles, but I'm concerned about what's carbing in the home draft bottle w/ tap. I bottled last Sat, and the plastic bottle is pretty hard (but not yet rock hard) already this morning. I could easily crack the top to bleed off some pressure, rather than risk a blow-up, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not.

Thoughts?

New Brew said:
Has anyone naturally carbed in these, with the tap attached as the bottle cap (but no CO2 cart.)?

Was reading in another area of the forums that someone reported the tap failed under the pressure of carbing, destroying the tap and spraying the beer out all over.

Of course, I read this about 30 min after bottling a batch of weizen, primed for 3.5 vol CO2, split between a MLHD and 1 liter swing-tops.

I'm not too worried about the glass bottles, but I'm concerned about what's carbing in the home draft bottle w/ tap. I bottled last Sat, and the plastic bottle is pretty hard (but not yet rock hard) already this morning. I could easily crack the top to bleed off some pressure, rather than risk a blow-up, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not.

Thoughts?

I naturally carbed mine with the tap on with no problems. I'm pretty sure I over carbed too and the bottle got rock hard, but nothing broke and it works great.

Thoughts?

I naturally carb with the tapper as a cap with no problems. I leave the co2 cartridge off.

i naturally carb mine and one 16g has always lasted for me.. in fact even after i finish beer there is still pressure left over. perhaps how fast your drink will matter.

Found this thread from a link provided in another thread someone was starting on the same subject.

I haven't started brewing 5 gallons yet due to not wanting to tediously bottle all of it, so thanks to the OP for spending the time to make the videos. Makes me wonder if Coors/Miller Brewing company actually made this in a way for Home Brewers to be able to reuse it.

Without a kegerator of any kind, I know have an option to have brew on tap. Kind of makes me shameful that this hasn't crossed my mind before.

Anyway I have about 10 C02 cartridges I purchased last year from a sports store for use in a pellet gun of mine, can those be used in the home draft system or is there some kind of food grade C02 cartridges?

Also, I'll search around the forums, but does anyone know of someone who has experience reusing one of the mini Heineken Aluminum Kegs? Or a forum post somewhere?

What a bear of a thread to read through, looking for clarification on 1 final thing. How much does bottle orientation (vert/horiz) make when natural carbing? Would like to suck up as little yeast as possible when serving.

What a bear of a thread to read through, looking for clarification on 1 final thing. How much does bottle orientation (vert/horiz) make when natural carbing? Would like to suck up as little yeast as possible when serving.

i dont think makes any diff. once you go to serve you will have sediment collect at the bottom.

here is what i do. I use a cap when i carb mine. that day before i tap, i put it upside down in fridge. next say i take out and all sediment is in cap and that area so in one motion open and flip back over catching a lot of yeast in cap and i have paper towel next to me and quickly wipe up as much as i can in the rim of bottle. doesn't get it all but does a get a good amount.

Well, if you're going for a certain level of carbonation for a particular style you could over prime. But I get where you're coming from as far as exceeding the bottle's pressure capacity

To the guys who want try paint ball stuff, you need to use a regulator of some kind. The taps don't have one built in if there was I wouldn't trust it with hundreds of psi all the time. Those 16g cartridges are so small that once they are used they drop pressure alot.
B

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Was thinking bout giving this a try. How many uses are people getting out of these before they stop working?

I'm giving up on this effort since I had one of these completely empty itself with in a week of filling any trying to carb it up with priming sugar. none of my bottles were over carbed or blew up, so I must have over filled it. Another one had the tap handle break off about 3/4 the way through a keg of cider. I'm going to use jugs for small batch fermenters.

I've read so much about this recently that I can't remember if this has already been posted, so forgive me it it has been.

Apparently Leland Gas (lelandgas.com) claims to distribute the oem 15.5 gram carts for this setup. They make no mention of it on their website, but can be found on eBay if searching for "home draft."

They sell them in 50 & 100 count lots on eBay. I have not bought any to compare with the Leland Gas "Tap Gas" carts that a lot of HBS sell alongside the TAD systems. I just ran across this a couple days ago and wanted to pass it along.

Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but I have been saving these things up for a while. ( coors lite) now I bought the 16 gram co2 cylinders on eBay . They appear to be the same length ,almost the same width. The neck is slightly narrower, and has a slight taper on them. They are Leland 16 g. #42104 but when I screw them on all of the gas seems to escape pass the o ring. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It's really tickin me off to hear how many people are enjoying their coors lite homebrewing taps and I can't get one to work to save my life. :(

Back