I'm making strawberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von_lidl

Reaction score
Ok so I made some strawberry wine and I did it in a plastic can 2,5 liters.

Strawberries, strawberry juice (Without preservative ofc.) sugar, water, dry bread yeast, and some raisins.

I put a balloon on top and made a pinhole. It's fermenting! But now after 1 week the balloon is slat/sloppy.

Should I stir/shake it? Or is the wine still OK?
(Same thing is happening to my mead, though the mead balloon is not completly slat)

Thanks for answers!

It's probably doing it's thing.

First thing would be to take some gravity readings for a couple days and see if it's still fermenting or if it's stuck.

If the gravity keeps going down, it's fine relax and drink a home brew.

If it's stopped, and stopped above your intended FG there's a few options you have.
You can re-pitch, or use an enzyme like amalyse that could jump start the fermentation, or you could leave it where it is and drink it sweet.

DeanaCarter4_sm_e.jpg

"Like strawberry wine, and seven-teen.
That hot July moon, saw everything...."

It's probably doing it's thing.

First thing would be to take some gravity readings for a couple days and see if it's still fermenting or if it's stuck.

If the gravity keeps going down, it's fine relax and drink a home brew.

If it's stopped, and stopped above your intended FG there's a few options you have.
You can re-pitch, or use an enzyme like amalyse that could jump start the fermentation, or you could leave it where it is and drink it sweet.

Ok thanks!

EDIT: Maybe I didn't add enough sugar...

I've done 3 batches of strawberry so far, they smell terrific while they ferment. I haven't touched them in probably 2-3 months. Back then they didn't taste good at all. Recipes I have call for at least a year in the bottle to start developing real flavor. I'm pretending they don't exist right now :)

Back