e z cap bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polk121

Reaction score
I just ordered a hb equipment setup and was wondering what most people use for bottles. midwest has the e z cap bottleshttp://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4722
CASE OF 12 - 32 oz. EZ Cap Bottles - AMBER :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies a little more pricey but dont need to buy caps all the time. Wondered if these bottles are worth the extra money?
looking foward to my first batch:mug:

I think that you'll find that 32 oz bottle are too big for general use...

I like a mix of 12, 16, and 22 oz bottles which I've collected from bars, home, friends, and beer/wine store....

Cappers/crowns are easy to use and inexpensive.

Ez cap bottles work well but I'm in agreement that 32 oz is pretty large. They work well but you have to remember that when using them you should change the gaskets after every 5 times you use them. I have a few grolsh bottles that I use, they are green so they stay in the closet but they are a little faster to use then capping everything. Midwest also usually will sell you 1 16oz for $1 or the 1 liter for $1.50 when you purchase a kit. So if you go the kit route you can pick up a bottle for pretty cheap each time you buy a kit and build a collection. If your just starting out and are going to brew an entire 5 gal batch I would recommend picking up a capper and some caps since they are cheap.

Yeah makes sense I didnt think about it but 32 oz is on the big side. I was think bigger bottles less time filling. tcklord you said something about brewing an entire 5 gal batch, can you brew less with a kit, say just cut everything in half? Or is that kind of a pain?

Yeah makes sense I didnt think about it but 32 oz is on the big side. I was think bigger bottles less time filling. tcklord you said something about brewing an entire 5 gal batch, can you brew less with a kit, say just cut everything in half? Or is that kind of a pain?

Some people do, it is a pain if you use LME but if you use DME it wouldn't be so bad. Some people also make a 5 gal batch and split it between 2 3 gal carboys to try different dry hopping, fruit addition, and yeasts. But yes, you could just cut everything in half and make a half batch at a time. It's not really any more work besides at bottling time to make a full sized batch, so that is definitely the norm.

I have just been saving old bottles and using a capper. I just bottled my first brew yesterday. it is easy and actually pretty fun to do. I have various siz bottles and kind of enjoy the novelty of the bottle variety you get from using a bunch of different beers. Caps are inexpensive.

I reuse crown cap bottles. I don't have any reason to buy bottles when I can go to the store and get beer AND bottles.

If you want the swing top bottles you could buy and drink grolsh which come in 16oz green swing top bottles. It's cheaper than buying them new in most cases.

A 32-ounce bottle seems too big. I have to depart from the opinions so far, though. I love my 16-ounce EZ cap bottles - capping is easy, bottling is a little faster than with 12-ounce bottles, and you get more beer in the glass after leaving behind the sediment. I don't think there is much cost-saving difference. That being said, I also bottle a six-pack of 12-ouncers to give away and to store long-term.

Back