To sparge, or not to sparge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK...

I have probably read too much, but I'll ask anyway...

I have tried my first two batches from extract kits, one currently bottled and one in the primary. Both of the recipes had additional grains for steeping before the boil. I use a bag for the grains and remove them after about a 25 minute steep.

The question is do I need to/should I sparge the grains before I toss them? I know the directions specify not to squeeze the bag (to avoid tannins?), but I am not sure if I am missing out on any good flavors. Also, when I fill the grain bag, should I do it over the brew pot, or will I get some bad funkiness from the grain dust staying in the pot for the boil?

Other that, RDWHAHB, anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sparging is about getting all the sugars out after mashing. Since you are not mashing and not extracting any sugars, there is no need to sparge your steeping grains. What I do is lift the bag of grains out of the kettle and let it as much of the water drain back into the kettle as possible, then I toss.

Your steeping grains are for flavour and colour. Sparging is for extraction sugars etc. you are golden if you just follow our directions.

I always let the bag drip into the kettle, then place it in a strainer into a bowl, let it strain some more, and add the extra about half way through the boil. I don't really have a good setup for sparging at this time.

Back