This evening brew grain to glass (to identify problems)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Posting this beer from Grain to glass
It's mainly to identify and cure problems I currently think I have with beer tasting "grand"
If anyone feels like jumping in with suggestions or corrections please do as it will help improve my end product.
I use a 3 vessel rig and Imersion chiller, then the fermenter goes into cold side of chamber
Thanks in advance for ALL input

It's lager bud
Standard American Lager
Bottled water
All Grain (23.02 l) ABV: 4.48 %
OG: 1.043 SG FG: 1.008 SG
IBUs: 11.2 IBUs Color: 5.7 ebc
Yeast: s-23 x2pks

Mash Ingredients
4.00 kg - Lager Malt
0.50 kg - Rice, Flaked
0 min - Mash In (64.4 C for 75 min, 2 min rise)
Add 11.74 l of water at 70.6 C
1:17 hours - Mash Complete
Batch sparge with 2 steps (10.76 l, 17.99 l) of 75.6 C water

BOIL
0 min - Add Ingredients
26.0 g - Saaz - Boil 90 min (11.2 IBUs)
1:15 hours - Add Ingredients - 1 Whirlfloc Tablet - Boil 15 min
1:30 hours - End of Boil

Cool wort to 12c and pitch yeast and keep in primary for 3 weeks @ 11c (apart from d-rest)

For my records I'll update as I go along and any suggestions are welcome

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by a beer tasting "grand".
One thing that catches my eye is the 90 minute boil of hops. I could have been mislead, but I thought boiling for more than 60 minutes was basically pointless and boiling too long could result in undesirable flavors.

@Hello

"grand" can mean a lot of different things but is usually "OK" in Ireland. I take it to mean "meh!" in this case

Other uses would be

Would you like a cup of tea father? That would be "grand", thanks missus Doyle..

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by a beer tasting "grand".

One thing that catches my eye is the 90 minute boil of hops. I could have been mislead, but I thought boiling for more than 60 minutes was basically pointless and boiling too long could result in undesirable flavors.

@Hello

"grand" can mean a lot of different things but is usually "OK" in Ireland. I take it to mean "meh!" in this case

Other uses would be

Would you like a cup of tea father? That would be "grand", thanks missus Doyle..

Grand means....it's fine, just not great. As Gavin said kinda meh...
90 min boil was for possible dms with lager malt, I may be wrong
I could hold off the hops till 60 mins if necessary.

@Hello

Other uses would be

I'm aware of what it means. :/ I'm asking him what he means when he uses it to describe his beer. You can assume it means "meh" but he could be referring to green, or bland, or just about anything. So I leave my question open and unanswered.

Ok so getting everything sanitised now.
Fermenter has been cleaned and has saniclean solution for the min until I'm ready to fill it.
All objects are being sanitzed now

I'm aware of what it means. :/ I'm asking him what he means when he uses it to describe his beer. You can assume it means "meh" but he could be referring to green, or bland, or just about anything. So I leave my question open and unanswered.

Basically my last 2 beers have tasted just ok and with a kinda soapy feel, kinda bitter but not the way I want it, not green but do get better with age but not great
One was a Belgian blond, the other a snpa clone. They were fine just not great.
They both tasted nice before kegging, then meh.
So I'm documenting my process to see if anyone can identify or suggest problems

Well that went well....NOT...
Hit all my numbers so that's good but f me if it was going to go wrong it did... Got the wort up to rolling boil and the bottle of gas starts acting up, plenty of gas but somehow the gas wasn't coming through as strong as usual so had to shake every minute or so (odd). Then the muslin bag of hops opens, normally wouldn't mind but no filter on dip tube, it took an age to get down to pitching temp then the dip tube blocks up...agggghhghghghgh. Sprayed my hands and arm with sanitizer and went to work....eventually had to siphon
It's sitting at 12c now but I won't know what it'll turn out. Like, probably fine but if not well. It's still beer "hopefully" [emoji3]

I don't know what bottled water means when you say tap after it. If your beer is a little less than desirable but not way off I would probably look to water in for mentation temperatures.

I don't know what bottled water means when you say tap after it. If your beer is a little less than desirable but not way off I would probably look to water in for mentation temperatures.

My mistake, not tap water, just bottles spring water.

I'm thinking water is the issue alright hence using bottled for this one, also my darker beers are fine from tap water (hard water) so it's pointing that way :)

Have you been making starters? 2 packs of s-23 may have been a good pitching rate for a lager, but I'm not sure. Have you been using 2 packs in your ales too? Yeast stress can cause a number of unwanted flavors

For the Belgian I used wlp530 abbey ale
For the pale ale wlp001
As only a 5 gallon batch I didn't make a starter..... Ahhhhh another possibility
This brew I used 2 pks of s-23 rehydrated and used yeast nutrient in the boil
It is currently fermenting at 11c/51f lager temps

2 weeks in primary and gravity is at 1.010, 2 more points to target... It's amazingly clear already..... Defo pointing to water issue. All that's left is to wait and taste... Samples had a bready taste to them but some of the true was in the sample so I'll reserve worrying until I rack for Lagering

Back