A New Batch, sediment at the bottom after only 2 hours ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvaroo

Reaction score
Hey guys, its the first time i do a Coopers beer kit (Real Ale), so i wanted to ask here to be sure all is right.

Now i did everything i always do, sanitise everything i need and more than that, sanitise the sugar bowl, everything.

So after pitching the yeast in and stirring well and got alot of oxygen in there, closed the lid and put the airlock on and its about 2 hours since, and im seeing some kind of sediment at the bottom (not white like it always is) its more like blurry (same colour as the beer) and about 0.3cm tall from the bottom of the fermenter.

Is this normal ? after only 2 hours...

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

Allright, was just suprised to see it after only 2 hours.

Have used Geordie kits up till now and they've never shown any sediment untill day 4-5

That happens when the yeast are multiplying up to population. They'll start to suspend and ferment your beer pretty soon I'd guess. Then fall out as the sediment, trub, you're used to seeing after a few days or weeks. Every fermentation is different, and yours looks normal at this point.

Awesome, im guessing the cheap Geordie yeast is crap (always thought so) so i might even get more fermentation than im used to :)

Btw this is my camping beer for next month! Cant screw this one up or else ill be sober for to long :S

Totally normal. What will generally happen is sediment (yeast, hops, etc.) will settle down to the bottom and then when fermentation kicks in with some vigor, that kicks it all back up into suspension and krausen. Then after the smoke clears, it'll all fall back down.

The first time I used a clear fermenter, I was surprised by this. It was way more crud than I expected. Made me start thinking it's time to whirlpool to reduce the beer-stealing trub.

Back