Better than Guinness Stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not hard really.

I've intended to brew a Guinness style stout with improvements for a bit.
I topped up my ingredient with the intention that I may want to do a stout.
I wanted to test some new equipment so threw this together on the hoof.

I've only just kegged it but of the 6 people who tried it. 2 part time Guinness drinkers thought it was a nice stout.
I don't drink Guinness in England but from memory this is on the good side of a Guinness taste profile.
I have some friends who are Irish and have just spent a week over there and they are my taste testers tonight.

I have mine, Guinness and Beamish lined up.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Burco Bodge Stout.
Brewer: Orfy
Asst Brewer: the dogs
Style: Dry Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 28.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 72.3 %
0.75 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 Grain 18.1 %
0.15 kg Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRMGrain 3.6 %
0.10 kg Barley, Torrefied (1.7 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (75 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Yeast Cake Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge. - Hot
Total Grain Weight: 4.15 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 10.83 L of water at 81.0 C 70.0 C 60 min

Notes:
------
Winged Recipe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I might try that the next time I want to brew a dry stout. I've never brewed one before as I am more partial to sweet stouts, but I will definitely put this recipe away for future use. Thanks for posting the recipe. Btw, if you need an extra tester, I'm more than willing:D Also, since you fermented on a yeast cake, it doesn't say what kind of yeast was used, so do you have a recommendation? I would assume Irish Ale, but you know what they say about assumptions.

-AJ

Nah. Good old notty.

I'm not trying to replicate Guinness because I don't think it's a great drink.
I think most brewers can brew something like it but better.

I'm not trying to replicate Guinness because I don't think it's a great drink.

Thank you. I hear it's better over the pond but I think it tastes like licking the back of a stamp. Even people who aren't very adventurous in beers say they, somehow, like Guinness. I guess it is 'their' way of flexing some sort of unique beer street cred.

Anyways....

"Better" is such a subjective term I will not voice my opinion. Glad you made a beer you like.

Feel free.

The beauty of home brew is that I and you can brew to our own taste.
Many love the taste of Guinness and would not want to change it.

I find it isn't to my taste so I'm aiming to brew something Guinness drinkers will recognise but in a form that I enjoy.
There's lots of good stout recipes around and I don't know if this is up to their standard. That's why I haven't added it to the database.

You know, I used to really like Guiness (it was my go to beer in most pubs with a lackluster selection). I had a Guiness again recently after a long hiatus and I'm with Orfy, not really that special. Thin/watery and sour.

Net net - I'm gonna try the Orfy Stout.

One thought as I was plugging in the recipe - this isn't really much of a 'Dry' Stout with all that Crystal grain is it tho'?

I'd love a Stout that isn't so loaded with the heavy roast flavor, but also isn't too sweet (which I find many recipes add the Crystal to compensate for the bitter roast flavor).

Orfy, you think I'll still like this one?

Orfy--what is it you DON'T like about Guinness / what is it you are trying to make 'better' in your taste? I'm trying to understand more about why I prefer Guinness over other stouts I've tried. I think most stouts, for me, are 'too much roasted or chocolate malt'. Still learning, though.

Just a little more to it body wise, slightly less sour and a touch more roast.

It's subtle and easy drinking. Still one for the Guinness drinkers. Not to big and heavy.

I have a feeling that most guys who don't enjoy the taste of Guinness are being served a bad pour. Especially when drinking the Draught, the pouring technique makes all the difference in the world. If your beer tender doesn't already do so, have him/her run a slow poured pint for you next time. The mouthfeel is considerably different, and the sourness blends in to give you a very mellow toasted malt and chocolate flavor that I find delicious.

Back