Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold TLOU about two weeks after I bought it, I'm not into multiplayer and I have never played a game a second time that is story driven. One of my top 5s all time I think (Super Mario 3, Mario Bros. Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 3, The Last of Us). My only hope for platinums are sports games that I can play for a solid year.

I really want GTAV and then I'm done with my PS3.

If there are any hardcore SOCOM vets out there, then check out SOF Studios. They are coming out with a game called H-Hour. Scheduled to be released in 2015. They had a successful kickstarter campaign. They hired David Sears which was the creative director of SOCOM 1 and 2.

Just wish it would come sooner than 2015.

I've on my second play through of Deux Ex: A Human Revolution. Very, very awesome game. Will be taking much more time exploring this second time.

I'm playing through Borderlands 2 for the first time. The game with the season pass was a great price during Steam's summer sale.

Just started Fallout 3, Dead Space, GOW3, and GTA4. Deals were too good on XBL to pass them up.

Fallout 3 is as nuts as Skyrim without the fairytale bs.

Just started Fallout 3, Dead Space, GOW3, and GTA4. Deals were too good on XBL to pass them up.

Fallout 3 is as nuts as Skyrim without the fairytale bs.

Heh, I picked up Fallout 3 as well, Gila. First night, I fell asleep during the opening scene. Second night, played about an hour into it. The weapon interface is abit wonky and (now) dated. I'll play through though.

Looking to pick up TLOU on PS3 if anyone wants to get rid of it.

Heh, I picked up Fallout 3 as well, Gila. First night, I fell asleep during the opening scene. Second night, played about an hour into it. The weapon interface is abit wonky and (now) dated. I'll play through though.

Looking to pick up TLOU on PS3 if anyone wants to get rid of it.

If you happen to pick up Fallout: New Vegas, get the Ultimate Edition, it comes with all the DLC..

Make sure to pick it up used though.. it isn't worth the price, not that its not a good game, just incredibly short..

I might have to break out FO3 today.. I've got a good 200 hours logged in that game..

I just started playing AC2 as it was available for free download, I had heard it was improved over the first. While the story line is better and they cut back the repetitiveness, it is damn near impossible to play. That game series has the worst fricking controls I have ever encountered in a game. First, there are far too many combos to do stuff to ever remember; second, when you do remember them they usually don't work; which leads you to pretty much hold down the right trigger and mash A or X to get through the game. What a monumental disaster of controls.

Kinda sucks because I have a few weeks of family leave coming up to watch my newborn as my wife goes back to work and I had planned on getting through AC2 and AC3 during naps. I guess I will have to dust off Fallout 3 or if anyone has recommendations of must play games I'm all ears???

I just started playing AC2 as it was available for free download, I had heard it was improved over the first. While the story line is better and they cut back the repetitiveness, it is damn near impossible to play. That game series has the worst fricking controls I have ever encountered in a game. First, there are far too many combos to do stuff to ever remember; second, when you do remember them they usually don't work; which leads you to pretty much hold down the right trigger and mash A or X to get through the game. What a monumental disaster of controls.

Kinda sucks because I have a few weeks of family leave coming up to watch my newborn as my wife goes back to work and I had planned on getting through AC2 and AC3 during naps. I guess I will have to dust off Fallout 3 or if anyone has recommendations of must play games I'm all ears???

Deux Ex! The Mass Effect series should please you along with Dead Space series. Bioshocks? I have been addicted to Deux Ex recently though.

If you have a PS3, The Last of Us is probably the best of this entire generation of consoles.

Deux Ex! The Mass Effect series should please you along with Dead Space series. Bioshocks? I have been addicted to Deux Ex recently though.

Xbox only so that kills Deux Ex...I have played the crap out of ME, I'm not into zombies, so perhaps time to check out Bioshock 2 and Infinite as I played the first.

Xbox only so that kills Deux Ex...I have played the crap out of ME, I'm not into zombies, so perhaps time to check out Bioshock 2 and Infinite as I played the first.

I haven't played 1 yet. 2 is pretty great, got it for free off PlayStation Plus. I played a little of Infinite and it was pretty awesome. If you like Hitman, Absolution was worth playing. Rdr of course is a fun one to waste some time on too.

Dated? As compares to New Vegas? Meh. It is what it is. once you get out of the vault it starts to get more interesting. I played it for 3 days and then started over after realizing I'd left some stuff behind in the vault.

Dead Space has been nice for a psycho mindfvck type game. Not so much a "eatin' yer bwwwains" type zombie game but, still pretty much a zombie game. Reminds me a bit of Silent Hill on the original XBox.

Gears of War 3 has been fun for another FPS shoot and loot type game.

I sold TLOU about two weeks after I bought it, I'm not into multiplayer and I have never played a game a second time that is story driven. One of my top 5s all time I think (Super Mario 3, Mario Bros. Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 3, The Last of Us). My only hope for platinums are sports games that I can play for a solid year.

I really want GTAV and then I'm done with my PS3.

Didn't like Fallout 3?

Bioshock (original) is a top 5 game on this console generation. If you haven't played it; keep it that way and don't play it.
You will compare every first person action/adventure/shooter game to Bioshock and will be disappointed as they let you down.
Not saying that it is flawless, it does have its problems but they are overshadowed by its brilliance.

I was very excited with Hitman Absolution, but I just didn't like it. I guess I just don't like stealth games, they are very stressful to me.
But I loved Hitman Blood Money, I think it is the best of the series.

I have yet to play the latest Deux Ex HE; my experiences with the previous 2 were mixed. I enjoyed the first half of both games; the second half just felt rushed and not as polished.
I purchased the augmented edition last year on a steam sale for <$10 but still haven't played it knowing that it is going to be such a time killer. I may find time one day to give it a chance.

Fallout is my favorite franchise; Fallout 2 is still my favorite of the series.
Interplay (publisher of Fallout 1,2, & Tactics) dished the fans a major disservice when they tried to take fallout back from Bethesda.
Elder scrolls online could have been Fallout online if they would have kept their greedy lawyers away. Felt good to see them burned.

Many of the original Interplay Black Isle designers work for Obsidian now; I thought that they did a great job with New Vegas.
Am I the only one who likes Fallout New Vegas more than Fallout 3?

Am I the only one who likes Fallout New Vegas more than Fallout 3?

I opted for FO3 because the ratings were consistently higher than FO:NV.

Chose FO3 over BioShock because I was already familiar with the Bethesda style from Skyrim and just couldn't get my head wrapped around the "Aquanaut" looking character 2K came up with.

I know everyone loves whatever they have, but I am seriously looking for a slightly out of date upgrade from my wii.

I am just about set on a PS3.

Opinions? I love MOST the resident evil type games and Call of Duty.

I know everyone loves whatever they have, but I am seriously looking for a slightly out of date upgrade from my wii.

I am just about set on a PS3.

Opinions? I love MOST the resident evil type games and Call of Duty.

I have all of them. Depends on what you want. Online gaming is better on the 360 but IMO the PS3 has better games and functions as a much better media center.

I would seriously hold off on getting a PS3 or XBox 360 until, say, Thanksgiving/Black Friday timeframe. They are releasing new consoles for the holidays and I anticipate the older ones will get sharp discounts in a few months.

One of the greatest series of all time..

It's pretty great but there are a ton of amazing series. These ones take the cake for me

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, GTA, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Diablo, Mass Effect, Sonic, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Half-Life, Starfox, Donkey Kong Country, Megaman Smash Bros. And I know I'm forgetting a few.

Half tempted to get a WiiU just for Megaman in Smash Bros.

It's pretty great but there are a ton of amazing series. These ones take the cake for me

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, GTA, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Diablo, Mass Effect, Sonic, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Half-Life, Starfox, Donkey Kong Country, Megaman Smash Bros. And I know I'm forgetting a few.

+1 on Metal Gear and Zelda series. Really great games.

I could argue a lot of those..

Not that they aren't great, just that they never evolved and it was always the same old same old..

Except starfox.. the first was good, then KABOOM.. went to garbage..

Sonic was good until the 3rd, now its just bizarre..

Metroid was my favorite game growing up, it died for me at Prime..

Street Fighter, 47352 games with the same exact everything.. maybe a few new people here and there.. I would have added Mortal Kombat waaaaaaaay before SF..

I would also add:

Pikmin
BioShock
Borderlands (it stands alone)
Assassins Creed
Ninja Gaiden
Splinter Cell
Syphon Filter
Silent Hill
Fatal Frame
God of War
Resistance

Among others.. each of those has changed overall aspect of gaming.. can't really say AC for the climbing and traversing since POP was the first to really incorporate something like that..

Hopppy's beeen into the home breew ;)

You are bringing back memories!

Castlevania had a good run.

250px-Excitebike_cover.jpg

For those who are into strategy games, Europa Universalis IV came out yesterday.
I was steam rolling the Byzantine Empire as the Ottoman Empire all night. I had to make sure that Constantinople became Istanbul before I could rest.

I could argue a lot of those..

Not that they aren't great, just that they never evolved and it was always the same old same old..

Except starfox.. the first was good, then KABOOM.. went to garbage..

Sonic was good until the 3rd, now its just bizarre..

Metroid was my favorite game growing up, it died for me at Prime..

Street Fighter, 47352 games with the same exact everything.. maybe a few new people here and there.. I would have added Mortal Kombat waaaaaaaay before SF..

Same old same old isn't always bad if you're bringing a unique playing experience each time. For example the classic Mario games were basically same old same old with new environments, powerups and enemies. Same thing with Megaman.

As far as Star Fox goes, Nintendo did oddly abandon it after Starfox 64, to a pair of bad gamecube games and a good but not distributed enough DS game. But to me a great flying game should be awesome with the Wii and Nunchuck. They're missing out on a great one JMO. Certainly should have one for the Wii U could even had better weapons and things that you can control from the pad.

Metroid has been amazing forever. Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime series minus Pinball, Metroid Zero Mission, and the Other M showcased a great Wii Shooter (which are in reality kinda tough to find for something I presumed would be the most surefire genre for the system )

Though I do wish they'd release a classic platformer Metroid. Nintendo's need to get away from platformers is sad, sure with 3D universes you can have less platformers. But sometimes you just want a platformer. I love Mario 64 and Galaxy and th esort, but there's something classic and great about the new Mario game on Wii U

Street Fighter was one of the first games to successfully be an amazing arcade game and an amazing home console game. Street fighter was awesome. And yeah it was largely the same game but what they did in the early years was refine the controls of the game. With the pinnacle being SF2:Turbo.

Same old same old isn't always bad if you're bringing a unique playing experience each time. For example the classic Mario games were basically same old same old with new environments, powerups and enemies. Same thing with Megaman.

As far as Star Fox goes, Nintendo did oddly abandon it after Starfox 64, to a pair of bad gamecube games and a good but not distributed enough DS game. But to me a great flying game should be awesome with the Wii and Nunchuck. They're missing out on a great one JMO. Certainly should have one for the Wii U could even had better weapons and things that you can control from the pad.

Metroid has been amazing forever. Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime series minus Pinball, Metroid Zero Mission, and the Other M showcased a great Wii Shooter (which are in reality kinda tough to find for something I presumed would be the most surefire genre for the system )

Though I do wish they'd release a classic platformer Metroid. Nintendo's need to get away from platformers is sad, sure with 3D universes you can have less platformers. But sometimes you just want a platformer. I love Mario 64 and Galaxy and th esort, but there's something classic and great about the new Mario game on Wii U

Street Fighter was one of the first games to successfully be an amazing arcade game and an amazing home console game. Street fighter was awesome. And yeah it was largely the same game but what they did in the early years was refine the controls of the game. With the pinnacle being SF2:Turbo.
I can mostly agree with all of that..

With SF, it really never changed at all though, with MK the story was ongoing from game to game progressing with each new one.. so that was an interesting aspect..

Yes!!!! I wish they would do a side scrolling Metroid game!

But same old when only the texture changes doesn't mean anything.

Example:
Last good CoD game I played was MW2.. they (Activision, Treyarc, Sledgehammer) refuse to update the engine the game runs on using a modified Q3 engine..

When you refuse to change the heart and brain of a game, what does it matter what skin is on it? Its still the same old game with no innovative properties or advancements..

Kinda like Apple..

There are some indie developers making some great throwback platformers right now. If you are in to those you owe it to yourself to check them out on Steam; most will run on any modern computer.
It is not very hard to interface XBOX360 and WII remotes to a PC either; most of these games are controller friendly. I think many of these are making their way into Xbox Arcade like Braid, Limbo, and Fez.

I thought Metroid Other M (though the story was cloying and ridiculous) was an AWESOME melding of the side scroller and the 3D adventure.

1/2 the game is set more or less side scrolling, with intermittent use of the pointer to lock on and fire missiles.

After Prime, I never guessed that any game could have better controls and be more immersive. Other M did wonders.

There are some indie developers making some great throwback platformers right now. If you are in to those you owe it to yourself to check them out on Steam; most will run on any modern computer.
It is not very hard to interface XBOX360 and WII remotes to a PC either; most of these games are controller friendly. I think many of these are making their way into Xbox Arcade like Braid, Limbo, and Fez.

I've played many of the well known indie games and love them.

Back