Need advice on fermenting!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba70665

Reaction score
So i guess a was a bit hasty with this being my first brew, and i didnt wait for the brew to cool very much before adding the yeast. It was probably about 5 min after i added the gallon of brew to a couple gallons of cold water. Not sure what the temp was, or if thats the problem at all. But anyways, the airlock started bubbling within about 4-6 hours, and continued to do so for about 24 hours. Bubbling dropped off significantly after that, maybe once a minute or less for the 2 days since.
This is only the third day, so am i still in for more fermenting, or was that first 24 hours all im gonna get??

Another question, any techniques for keeping your brew at the right fermenting temp? My house is too warm, the fridge is too cold...??? help.

RDWHAHB... Most of the fermentation will finish within a day or two, then it will slow down significantly. To keep my brews at a good temp I immerse them in a tub of ice water, put a wet t-shirt over the fermenter and blow a fan on it, it's always worked well fo rme.

Relax. Just let it sit. If the yeast is done, there is no harm in letting it sit for a few more days. In all likelihood, the yeast is still doing it's thing, but most of the fermentable sugars have been eaten up already, so you're not seeing a lot of activity.

I'm new to the hobby too, so let me share the one insight that I can give you - patience is key. You can't rush good beer.

As for the temperature, there are a few techniques you can use if you're really concerned [Swamp cooler, wet blanket, etc.]. I keep by brews in a spare closet that is kept at a pretty constant 72-74 by the central AC and I haven't had a problem yet. [I've never made a lager though].

A lot of the stuff on this board (and others) is pretty overwhelming and can be hard to get your head around, so don't sweat. Just relax. Your beer will be fine.

Alright, thanks. Yeah i've been keeping it in a tub of ice water and its stayed around 70-74. It will be easier to keep constant temp in the winter since i have heat but no AC.

What are some signs to know when it is done fermenting/conditioning and ready for bottling, Besides letting it sit for atleast a week?

Back