Running W/O PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIM_Tattoos

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm almost done with my build, but I'm having trouble coming up with funds for the PID and the control panel. But, I just got a scotch ale extract kit in the mail from MoreBeer and would love to cook it up, so I have two questions.

Could I run my 2000W 120V heating element in my BK by just plugging it into the wall and unplugging to maintain a good boil to make this, or is the PID absolutely necessary?

If I can't, do you think I could cook with the pot on the stove, without damaging my element?

You will be able to leave it plugged in, it wont be overly vigorous. No worries.

5 gallon boils utilize 3000-4000W to maintain a vigorous boil.

970 BTUs are required to boil off 1 pound of water once you reach a boil.

1kW is 3412 BTUs

You have 6824 BTUs and are probably about 95% eff (radiant heat losses)

You net 6482 BTUs/970 BTUs to boil off a pound of water

You could boil off 6.5 pounds of water in an hour, .8 gal. hour

Getting 3 gallons from 60F to boiling will take about 35 mins.

Since most guys are boiling off 1.5 gallons/hour with 3000-4000W, your boil will be less vigorous and therefore you can leave it plugged in more than likely.

You could swing more that that, but obviously don't have to.

I start my boils with 5g, and boil down to about 4g over an hour boil. That way you would only need 1 gallon of top up water for a 5g batch.

Back