Does this look like an infection??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pisty_Pete

Reaction score
Flickr: PistyPete's Photostream

This beer is the product of the worst brew day ever! Everything that could go wrong did. Including a blowoff.

It's been in the fermenter for two weeks now and these milky bubbles have formed on the surface.

It's an American Rye with 6# of 2-row, 3.75# of rye malt and 3# of pale wheat malt with WLP320.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
p

actually, I apologize, it's a difficult picture to analyze. what you're looking at is, from the top down, the residual krausen on the sides of the carboy and then a gap in the krausen (where the beer receded). The milky bubbles can bee seen in the krausen gap, on surface of the beer.

I can maybe try to take a photo from the opening down into the carboy later this afternoon. since it was a blowoff, the residual krausen is on the side of the carboy all the way up to the top.

cheers!

From that picture it looks kind of normal, I get lots of weird looking crud building up on the sides.
The real test is how does it smell? If it makes you want to puke you got a problem.

Back