TRADER JOE's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Coming to Louisville in a few months.....

WHAT IS COOL AT TJ?

I have seen the one in Cinci once. I stocked up on an endless amount of random cool stuff. I have considered the 75 minute drive with 3 kids more than once since then to stock up.

It will now be HERE.;)

So.....for the veterans who live near one already, what do you go to Trader Joe's for?

I love to cook any foods from anywhere. I love especially spicy foods, unusual cheeses, seafood, etc.

hmmmm. Wife buys flowers there... I pick up a bottle of "2 buck chuck" ($2.99 bottles of wine) every once in a while - that's one of their claims to fame. We really don't shop there as much as we should, and they're only about 4 miles away from us. We're just spoiled I guess.

Their house beers are pretty good. I know that their Winter Ale is brewed by Unibroue, and at least one or two others are made by Firestone Walker.
They also have a great selection of coffee, at a very good price. SWMBO likes their soaps, and our vegetarian/pescatarian kids like their choices, too.

DAMMMIT!!!!!!

It was Jungle Jim's in Cinci......I must have gone retarded for a minute there........

I have heard that it was cool though. Oh well, lol.

Let's see...my top 3 favorites at TJs.

1. Vintage Ale: Comes out in December/January time frame. A dark Belgian beer on lees, it is brewed by Unibroue and only $5.99 for a 750 mL bottle. Worth stocking up on and aging, IMO.

2. Mission Street Brown Ale: Brewed by Firestone. A delicious brown ale for cheap!

3. Mini Stroopwafels: I first had a taste of stroopwafels when I was in Copenhagen. Thus far, TJs is the only place I can find them. They aren't normal sized (i.e., won't fit over your coffee cup), but they are just as delicious as the originals.

I love most of their other products, and strive to try something new whenever I am there. I haven't yet taken them up on their return policy as I'd feel weird returning an open and partially eaten item just because I didn't like it.

The biggest problem I've found with TJs is that you'll find something that you absolutely love, and then in a few months they'll stop carrying it. :drunk:

They even made a song about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Costco does the same thing Ace. I figure, at least you got to try it, you can probably order some if it was that great, and they don't have it anymore because the price went up.

I am OK with that, but it does suck.

Costco does the same thing Ace. I figure, at least you got to try it, you can probably order some if it was that great, and they don't have it anymore because the price went up.

I am OK with that, but it does suck.

Yeah, but it's harder to order when it was TJ brand and you have no idea who made it for them. :cross:

Yeah, but I do still love that store (owned by ALDI, if you didn't know already). My wife really loves their flowers as they are cheap and seem to last twice as long as flowers from other stores.

The Trek to Jungle Jim's may be worth it for you too Ace.

I may still make it if TJ's isn't at least 75% as cool as JJ's.

The Trek to Jungle Jim's may be worth it for you too Ace.

I may still make it if TJ's isn't at least 75% as cool as JJ's.

I could not warrant driving that far just to go to Jungle Jim's. Maybe if I was headed through the area on unrelated business, but I try and avoid Ohio on principle.

The biggest problem I've found with TJs is that you'll find something that you absolutely love, and then in a few months they'll stop carrying it. :drunk:
[/url]

Yeah, but I do still love that store (owned by ALDI, if you didn't know already). My wife really loves their flowers as they are cheap and seem to last twice as long as flowers from other stores.

aldi's does the same thing. they'll have something great with a cheap pricetag, then once you're hooked, it's gone. it's still my favorite grocery store.

I could not warrant driving that far just to go to Jungle Jim's. Maybe if I was headed through the area on unrelated business, but I try and avoid Ohio on principle.

have you been to czimers? it's a little hole in the wall place in Homer Glen. they have hundreds brands of hot sauce. plus a bunch of game meats. jerky/snack sticks from exotic/game animals.

http://www.czimers.com/

have you been to czimers? it's a little hole in the wall place in Homer Glen. they have hundreds brands of hot sauce. plus a bunch of game meats. jerky/snack sticks from exotic/game animals.

http://www.czimers.com/

That's what hooked me on Jungle Jim's. An area the size of a convenience store with nothing but hot sauces...............

and something equally as impressive for anyone.

From a beer side - Trader Joes is neat because they have their own beer, and at least around here they support the local craft/nano breweries and carry those brands. They don't carry BMC.

But having said that, a Trader Joes rant:

I HATE Trader Joes. It is all hipsters. My roommate and friend shops there all the time, and brews with me. I've come to terms he is a crazy hipster (kid used to eat cookies like you read about, now he is far too healthy, eating turkey chili every day).

Around Boston, you get all of the fake hipsters, trying to be eco friendly and cool. You know what that gets me when my girlfriend makes me go in there? Place is crowded, they have nothing I want, I hear 50 conversations about organic stuff, and I have to wait in a long line.

But thats just me. I'm kind of a jerk (been in Boston too long, I used to be a nice midwesterner) so my opinion may differ from others. Most of my friends shop Trader Joes and love it. Because it is now the trendy things to do, I refuse to join their cult.

That's what hooked me on Jungle Jim's. An area the size of a convenience store with nothing but hot sauces...............

and something equally as impressive for anyone.

the place looks cool from the website, but the online ordering feature sucks.

From a beer side - Trader Joes is neat because they have their own beer, and at least around here they support the local craft/nano breweries and carry those brands. They don't carry BMC.

But having said that, a Trader Joes rant:

I HATE Trader Joes. It is all hipsters. My roommate and friend shops there all the time, and brews with me. I've come to terms he is a crazy hipster (kid used to eat cookies like you read about, now he is far too healthy, eating turkey chili every day).

Around Boston, you get all of the fake hipsters, trying to be eco friendly and cool. You know what that gets me when my girlfriend makes me go in there? Place is crowded, they have nothing I want, I hear 50 conversations about organic stuff, and I have to wait in a long line.

But thats just me. I'm kind of a jerk (been in Boston too long, I used to be a nice midwesterner) so my opinion may differ from others. Most of my friends shop Trader Joes and love it. Because it is now the trendy things to do, I refuse to join their cult.

So, when you're in there, just remind them that they're shopping at ALDI.

That should make it un-trendy real fast. :D

Dammit. thanks Luke.

sounding less and less cool.

Whoa...the ones I've been to in the Chicago area are not hipster hangouts. There are more MILFs in these places than you can count. All hot yoga moms. It's very nice. Plus, mine is not very crowded.

So, if you are getting one by you, you will have to check it out prior to placing any judgement.

Whoa...the ones I've been to in the Chicago area are not hipster hangouts. There are more MILFs in these places than you can count. All hot yoga moms. It's very nice. Plus, mine is not very crowded.

So, if you are getting one by you, you will have to check it out prior to placing any judgement.

i've only been to the Orland one, but that's how it is there as well. It's a great shop to get a few hard to find things, but too far to justify the trip for me.

is the ghetto-trendy thing old news? i guess i'm just old skool then. :rockin:

I have no idea, but I shop ALDI as well, although only when the sales warrant it as I don't have one close to me (at least not as close as Whole Foods, TJ's, Meier, Target or Jewel).

The TJ's in my neighborhood is smaller, but the staff keeps it well stocked and clean.

favorite items:
$1.99 Bombers of Firestone Walker Bavarian Hefeweizen and Brown Ale.
Triple Ginger Snaps
Milton's Hamburger Buns
Local Handmade Flour Tortillas

I guess I really need to get to TJ's... There are two within 30 miles on me. And one of them is close enough to work to hit up on my lunch break.

We have been meaning to email ALDI corporate to suggest they build a store near us since there is a crapload of development there and a large upper-middle class population there. Now I can start pestering them for an ALDI and an TJ's!

A lot of their items are seasonal. IN the winter, their spiced pear cider is amazing!
year round, we love the spinach & artichoke dip, and mac 'n cheez bites. also the blue corn tortilla chips are top notch.
I've had their wasabi almonds too...mmm.
There's some great deals on spices (like saffron) compared to the local HyVee chain here too, and we get our olive oil and bell peppers there too fairly often.
we just got ours late last year, so I did pick up 3 bottles of the dark ale, drank one, the other two are aging in my basement.

I never really thought of Aldi (in the US) as appealing to the Upper Middle Class...

Trader Joe's certainly cuts into that demographic.

FromZwolle said:
hipsters! you've been warned. :cross:

Haha yeah I said the last time I was there that it must be a requirement to wear skinny jeans to work there. The bad part is I know several people that work at the Pittsburgh one.

It's a shame we don't get the beer or wine here due to our archaic laws. They have some cool stuff there. It's near East End brewery so when I get growlers we hit TJ up too.

It's funny someone compares it to Aldi. I have also done that. It's the hipster Aldi imo.

The "hipster" thing must be an East Coast phenomenon. I've been to a lot of them in the Chicago area, and have seen a lot of MILF's and people in their mid-to-late 30's and older.

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about Whole Foods, too (along with claims of "hippies"), but I don't see that too often, either, although there are a few hipsters working there...

I see plenty of high priced cars/trucks in the ALDI parking lots near well to do neighborhoods... along with the beaters. In this economy, most people are looking to save money.

My favorites at Trader Joe's are: their potstickers (gyoza). They are delicious, especially the pork ones. Frozen, preseasoned turbot fillets are good too. You can even keep them in their vacuum sealed bag and cook them sous vide style. Also, great goat cheese.

kjung said:
The "hipster" thing must be an East Coast phenomenon. I've been to a lot of them in the Chicago area, and have seen a lot of MILF's and people in their mid-to-late 30's and older.

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about Whole Foods, too (along with claims of "hippies"), but I don't see that too often, either, although there are a few hipsters working there...

Not sure about that I have heard hipsters have made their way overseas even.

I think Whole Foods and Trader Joes purposely hire hipsters tbh and the clientele seem more hippy turned yuppy to me. Of course all types of people shop there but in general it seems like people that are too good for the regular g-store. I dunno.

TJ's is one of my favorite things I missed about California. That and In-N-Out burgers. Now that In-N-Out is in the DFW area I'm just waiting for the TJ's to open out here and I can totally leave California out of my mind.

Their frozen enchilada lunches were pretty good back when i needed frozen lunches often. Their cooking sauces are pretty good (Try the General Tsao's(?) sauce, or the various curry sauces). They USED to have great chocolate covered espresso beans but of course they eventually stopped carrying them. I finally talked to a manager and he said that they had supplier issues and the quality of the product suffered so they decided to not carry it anymore until they find a better/more consistent supplier.

2. Mission Street Brown Ale: Brewed by Firestone. A delicious brown ale for cheap!

Blargh! i was finally at a TJ's today and i couldn't remember which beer it was that i wanted to try. i got the bavarian hefe: not bad.

and i was right! at least 50% hipsters. (though i must concede the point to ace, the other 50% were hot soccer moms.)

FromZwolle said:
Blargh! i was finally at a TJ's today and i couldn't remember which beer it was that i wanted to try. i got the bavarian hefe: not bad.

and i was right! at least 50% hipsters. (though i must concede the point to ace, the other 50% were hot soccer moms.)

Yay hot soccer moms!

Latest posts

Back