strange wierd chunks in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsoda

Reaction score
Im new to Brewing i made a AG beer "trying to make somthing moon like"
when i opened my primary there were strange yeast colored chunks that look like "half shells" sort of? they were somewhat hard yet mushy at the same time. in the bottom of the fermenter ,and the beer smells some what sour? not a bad smell ... but not a good smell neither ... it tasts some what sour also... agean not real sour ... but not great tasting neither.

all seemed smooth?
have i got a infected batch? ... what are the chunks and the sour smell 'tast from? ... if it is infected ... with what ... and what are the chunks? has anyone seen what i am looking at?

here is what i used its a 5 gal batch all grain
---Aprox-----
8lb american 2 row
3 lb flaked wheat
1 lb flaked oat
.5 oz corriander
.5 oz fresh orange peel
1 oz cascade pellets
Wyeast Liquid Yeast - Belgian Wit 3944

(any suggestions)? ... please!!!!

Break material can look like small flakes in the wort, they're perfectly normal if that's what you're seeing.

I wouldn't judge the taste until it's been at least 6 weeks from brew day and carbonated.

Lol... last thing I would want to do is stick my head in the air above the krausen. That **** will make you grow chest hair!

Yeah, I'm with shonuff, you're fine. Don't worry the beer!! It is said by men (either wiser, or crazier -or both- than I) that yeast don't like being stared at, nor do they like people looking over their shoulders while they work.
Relax, have a pint (or two) of something previously fermented, and let them go about their business.
I recall my first batch, I used to rack every brew to the 2ndary fermenter for 'clearing' and my first one restarted after racking, scared the bejesus outta me, I sweated that I'd ruined it. It came out just fine -but things I saw in that carboy..... well, it kept me up nights (which is fine, since I'm a night-shift person anyway).
Let the yeast work. They know their job -yours is ONLY to provide a hospitable environment in which they can perform their jobs. You did your part, let them do theirs.

The "half shell" shape reminds me of a bret infection. Even if it is, it's not the end of the world. Some people want bret infections. Those crazy guys that do open bucket fermenting, HOO BAH! that's crazy right there. Don't worry too much about it till it's bottled, conditioned and in your glass. If it tastes like crap, you made a heiniken. HA!

lol @ above post...

i have a couple chunky beers beers in the fridge right now... i did a bad job racking to the bottling bucket from a dry hopped beer. now it is just dry hopped in the bottle, and tastes seriously good. just dont look at the glass when your drinkin it, looks like colored pond water.

eeewwwww Hiney-ken.
-Loved the 'bottle-hopped' beer post. Generally I drink out of a metal full-pint beer stein. No looking at the brew (grin). I'd tried this kit-based 'easy-drinking' light-colored Ale. The beer was cloudy as hell -I'd never had that -this wasn't chill-haze, it was thick and hazy as a wheat beer at any given temperature from room to 'fridged. Tasted right good! But looked thick enough to cut. I figured 'Oh well. It tastes good, and thats what matters most to me. Last night (months and months later, in Keg #2 in the kegerator) I finished off my NutBrown Ale, and switched the fittings onto the "FoggyAle" Keg, and low-and behold, that stuff is as clear as glass! I don't know when it had a conversion, but damn!
Guess it just goes to show you never really know how its going to turn out in the long-run.

I am by no means an expert, but the only wheat beer I ever brewed was a real messy fermentation, and the beer was sour to start. It took nearly six months before it tasted right. Guy at the homebrew shop said the same as many above. Just let it sit. It may take a while, but most of them turn out pretty good...eventually.

Thanks for the info,
It's all in bottles now, it looks like a wheat beer... I tasted a bit, and it still tastes off to me... I guess ill just let it age and go from there. I'll post what it tasts like in a few weeks.

couldent wait... poped one .. it tasts bad still ... sweet and bitter / sour... very wierd after tast... it smells very sweet . i have been told its pinapple like smell, however i don't smell it. just smells sweet to me. ... ill let it age some more (what choise do i have?) ... but any ideas of what went wrong .. if it tasts somewhat sweet ... is there still fermentable sugars ... have i made a couple cases of gernades?

Grenades? maybe. If this concerns your put them in a location where leakage can be contained. If not in closed cases cover them with a towel or some such to contain any would be shrapnel. Wait a month or better before trying it again and move on to your next beer.

It couldn't hardly be worse than a Bug lite could it? We've all drank icky beers and some of us have made icky beers, and drank them. If it's that bad make a tomato beer out of it.

The beer has carbonated fine , still very sour , i am convinced that the strange chunks i was seeing was the krausen just allot of it , im not sure if the yeast i used is common for this or what? ... however what imparted the sour tast? ... will fermenting at to high a temp make beer sour? i was averaging around 69-70f threw the whole proccess ... or the orange peel i used ...? ... i still trying to figure this out ... i would like to make a wit beer but kinda leaning on sticking to dark ales.

Lactobacilis? Aceterobacteria? Who knows without having a lab available to test. There are a lot of critters that can make your beer sour. Some people do it on purpose. Move on to your next beer. Let this one sit. Sample it occasionally. If by the time you get to the end of it, it still tastes bad. Well, you made a bad batch. But as so many here say. "Do not dump it". Let it age, you may be surprised.

it's been a few months now so i thought i would add that there still kinda off sour tasting, its starting to dull but it's still there. none of them have blown up . there's nothing growing in the bottles that i can see, - and for a wheat beer they are geting really clear.

they smell good , just taste extremely sour/bitter. If i drink them really cold
there ok , but as soon as they start to become cool-warm they taste off/bad.

From everyone who has tried them they wont finish one , so i stopped trying to get opinions.

I guess i'll just let them age longer and post again.

My wheat beers always taste and smell sulphury for several weeks and then they become great out of the blue. Go figure...

well its been 3 months in the bottle now and there still very sour and weird tasting. i have know idea what caused it its the only beer i have made that has this problem. it tastes ok with some blueberry / pomegranate juice added to the glass... yuck

the beer is very very clear now , so i guess its done ... i guess ill post back in a couple more month's if there's any change.

Back