Desired IPA carb level, muntons carb tabs and metric scaling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twst1up

Reaction score
:fro:
Hey hey hey
Decided to go old school (for me) and bottle my batch of NBs IPA. I'll be using muntons carb tabs but have a few quick questions. The directions for the tabs call for varying how many tabs used depending on the desired carb level. So, what's the desired carb level for this style?
Next question...and I'm sure if i wasn't your typical american metric-thrope I'd prob be able to figure this out: How many do i need for a 1Liter bottle:confused:
Oh, yeah....this might help:

5 tabs for high carb
4 for "normal"
3 for light carb
(per 12oz bottle)

1 liter is 33.814 oz. so thats almost 3 12 oz bottles. For normal carbonation levels Id use 11 in a one liter bottle

if 4 will do 12 oz that makes 1 = 3oz. so 33/3 = 11 tabs.

I prefer my IPAs on the lower end of the carbonation scale, of course I prefer most of my ales on the lower end.

5 tabs for high carb
4 for "normal"
3 for light carb
(per 12oz bottle)

what's wrong with just using this?

I'm guessing 5tabs would be +3 volumes, 4 maybe 2.5, and 3 would be 1.5-2...I like Ales around 2.

I'm guessing 5tabs would be +3 volumes, 4 maybe 2.5, and 3 would be 1.5-2...I like Ales around 2.
that's partly what i'm getting at: is there a standardized reference available regarding appropriate levels. However, I'm not familiar with what you mean by "volumes": was thinking this term applied to force carbing, but I'm probably wrong.

1 liter is 33.814 oz. so thats almost 3 12 oz bottles. For normal carbonation levels Id use 11 in a one liter bottle

if 4 will do 12 oz that makes 1 = 3oz. so 33/3 = 11 tabs.

thanks for quick reply...i think i was making this harder than it had to be: i was afraid of having to mess with partial tabs...and trying to weigh out increments and so on. :mug:

Back