US-05 -- Big Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
I had my first need for a blow-off tube this week. It was exciting. I was a bit surprised though, considering it was from a fairly small beer, OG of 1.039. I pitched a rehydrated pack of us-05 and 24 hours later the krausen was up to the airlock. I put the blow-off tube on and the krausen was to the jar of water in another hour. Does us-05 typically cause such big krausen? The beer was Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops, by the way.

How much headspace did you leave in the top of your fermentor? It is an ale pail or a carboy?

I would call US-05 "moderate" in terms of how much krausen it produces... That being said, I have blown the top twice on Ale Pails with 5 gal of beer in 7.5 gal fermenter, both were US-05.

It's 6 gallons of wort in a 6.5 gal carboy. Cutting it close, I know, but I thought it would be ok with the small beer. I've never had a krausen rise more than an inch and a half or two inches before. This one rose at least an inch and a half before the carboy's diameter began to decrease, then rose all the way up the neck and through the tube.

Back