Kiss Your Cousin Kentucky Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
About a month ago, I brewed the below recipe from Revvy, Kiss Your Cousin Kentucky Common.

I made one big mistake, left the lid on my kettle the whole boil. So, I didn't realize my true boil off. I had way too much wort with a low SG going into my fermentor.

Despite that, the beer is yummy except its thin, bright, clean with a whisper of alcohol. I want to brew it again. It's a bit spicy with cream. But I want to do it better than last time. The obvious, is too keep my lid off during the boil to realize my true evaporation rate during the boil. I know I'll brew this ale a few times, till I get it just right.

The question is, and I am tempted, what would happen if I increase the grain and hops by 25%?

Grain

4.5# Pale Malt 2-row
2.25# Flaked Maize
1# Flaked Rye
2 oz Black Patent Malt
2 oz Crystal/Caramel 120L

Hops

.85 oz Cluster (7.% aau) @60

Yeast

1 Packet US-05 (any American Ale yeast can be substituted)

About a month ago, I brewed the below recipe from Revvy, Kiss Your Cousin Kentucky Common.

I made one big mistake, left the lid on my kettle the whole boil. So, I didn't realize my true boil off. I had way too much wort with a low SG going into my fermentor.

Despite that, the beer is yummy except its thin, bright, clean with a whisper of alcohol. I want to brew it again. It's a bit spicy with cream. But I want to do it better than last time. The obvious, is too keep my lid off during the boil to realize my true evaporation rate during the boil. I know I'll brew this ale a few times, till I get it just right.

The question is, and I am tempted, what would happen if I increase the grain and hops by 25%?

Grain

4.5# Pale Malt 2-row
2.25# Flaked Maize
1# Flaked Rye
2 oz Black Patent Malt
2 oz Crystal/Caramel 120L

Hops

.85 oz Cluster (7.% aau) @60

Yeast

1 Packet US-05 (any American Ale yeast can be substituted)

Is that for a 1 gallon batch? Seriously though, the og seems like it would be waaaay low on that recipe.

I recently brewed my own Kentucky Common Beer Recipe. I didn't use rye. Being from Kentucky, and a graduate of the University of Louisville School of Medicine, I felt like I just had to make this beer. It has turned out to be one of my very best beers. It's only about 5% ABV. So, it's a great session ale. It has a lovely light brown colour, and cleared supper quick. It has a slight sharpness, I assume due to the tiny % of black malt. I really love it. I call it "The Louisville Slugger" which is in honor of the name of a horse that SWMBO used to show as a driving pleasure horse. He was a great American Saddlebred Horse, and has since passed.
Sorry for the thread hijack. I just wanted to throw this in. I am happy to share my recipe with anybody who is interested.

I agree that the grain bill presented seems slim. My grain bill (for a 10 gallon batch) was just shy of 24 pounds.

Back