Can I Save Her?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masskrug

Reaction score
I've been fermenting an ale (Safale 05) for 10 days now. My temperature readings for the cooler have been 60-70' which is great. The problem is my probe is at the top of the cooler and I never considered measuring the temperature of the water (Idiotic!)

Long story short, the ALE has been fermenting at 45'-55' for 10 days. I just popped the lid; nice krausen on top, hydrometer reading at 1.030 (O.G. 1.060), it smelled wonderful and tasted fantastic. I expect a F.G. of ~1.015

Questions: If I bring the temperature up, can I save this batch, or has it been sitting dormant too long (10 days). Do I need to re-pitch?

Thanks for getting back to me before I rack this to my porcelain carboy.

On a positive note, I can lager in this cooler. LOL!

Dude how about letting the beer sit for another 2 to 3 weeks before doing anything, unless the gravity readings have stopped for the past 3 days... Bubbles in the airlock less krousen etc are not signs that the beer is done fermenting, I always leave my beer still without touching it for a full 30'days before opening the carboy, 100% of the time i'm at FG and the flavors are very blended and ready to bottle or keg, I never secondary my beer for me it's a waste of time and a higher risk of infection and especialy a huge beer loss :) My beer is as clear as a coors light, so racking to secondary for me is useless, form primary to keg or bottle :) If your realy scared of the trub that you can suck up off the bottom " because YES the yeast cake is going to be big and thick" just transfer a bit less and that's it :) You will still have more gallons than if you rack to secondary then keg :)

Just my 2 cents :)

It's fine. I've done plenty of ales at really low temps and US-05 will chug along just fine. It may still be going, just slowly. I'd warm it up a bit, gently swirl the yeast up and give it a couple more days.

Is the temp of the water at 45-55 or is the temp of the beer at this? My point is that your beer is generally 5-8 degrees warmer than the fermentation chamber. If the cooler is 55 than your beer is probably 60+, which while low, if fine for 05. The krausen is a giveaway that you are within or close to the range you need to be. Give it longer than usual and then check your readings

JonM: I did just that. I'm getting (slow) bubbling in the airlock, so hopefully they woke up. I questioned if the Safale 05 could survive that long at that temperature. I'll check her again Sunday.

Jesseroberge: The only reason I popped the top today was to dry hop, I intended to ferment for another week or two. Thanks for the "30 day" tip. I will use this knowledge on my next batch.

Is the temp of the water at 45-55 or is the temp of the beer at this? My point is that your beer is generally 5-8 degrees warmer than the fermentation chamber. If the cooler is 55 than your beer is probably 60+, which while low, if fine for 05. The krausen is a giveaway that you are within or close to the range you need to be. Give it longer than usual and then check your readings

The BEER has been at 45-55. I gently stirred it, am warming it, and the airlock is (slowly) coming to life!

The airlock s not and inaction of fermentation. You are warming it and as you do the air and liquid expands which creates a positive pressure inside your vessel. Just leave it alone and trust that the yeast know how to do their job.

masskrug said:
The BEER has been at 45-55. I gently stirred it, am warming it, and the airlock is (slowly) coming to life!

Just an update; I warmed the cooler to 60-65 for a three days. I achieved my F.G. today (1.015). Dry hopped and will bottle next week. :)

You got the decimal in the wrong place. It's expresses as 1.015. And it sounds like at 45-55 that the 05 had gone dormant or close to it. Other ale yeasts would def be dormant ime. I had cooper's ale yeast down to 58-60F & it went dormant & settled out. Warmed it to 62F,& swirled it up. It started to come back to life,& slowly started fermenting at a slow,more normal rate at 64F. It seemed most comfortable at around 65-66F. Ale yeasts generally aren't designed to go down into the 50's & ferment normally ime thus far.

Just an update: This beer did survive. I aged it for 4 weeks in the bottle. It is still a little "green," but it turned out great.

Back