books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I just got The joy of home brewing book by charlie papazian the new revized 3rd edition.
Is this book just as good as Palmers book How to home brew, I have skimmed through the online one and its great, just wondering if anyone has read papazians book?

mot said:
I just got The joy of home brewing book by charlie papazian the new revized 3rd edition.
Is this book just as good as Palmers book How to home brew, I have skimmed through the online one and its great, just wondering if anyone has read papazians book?

They're very different. From a strictly informative point of view, I think Palmer is better and is certainly more up to date.

Papazian is a more enjoyable read and is great for inspiring passion for homebrewing and that certain RDWHAHB attitude.

Papazian's the Bible; he's great for the overall spirit of homebrewing.

Palmer's the technical manual. Buy yourself a paper copy, it's worthwhile.

cweston said:
They're very different. From a strictly informative point of view, I think Palmer is better and is certainly more up to date.

Papazian is a more enjoyable read and is great for inspiring passion for homebrewing and that certain RDWHAHB attitude.

guess I will just have to order palmers newest revision to and have them both.
I take palmers is more a a step by step process on how things work?

besides these two any other books that are a must have?

Brewing Great beers is one I know cant remember who wrote it Daniels I think
any others?

Yeah, Designing Great Beers (Ray Daniels) is an awesome resource - but it's very technical in nature. Most of it is aimed at AG brewers; are you extract or AG? Once you start wanting to develop your own recipes, it's invaluable, but for just starting out I would recommend using either established recipes or buying (good) kits from places like Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew. Focus on the process of making beer before you worry about making your own recipes.

mot said:
besides these two any other books that are a must have?

Brewing Great beers is one I know cant remember who wrote it Daniels I think
any others?

Daniels is a more imtermediate/advanced technical book--it is extremely helpful in learning to design your own recipes and a great read if you're a little on the geek side. (I am.)

Clone Brews and Beer Captured are great recipe books. Even if you don't brew clones (I rarely do), they're great for seeing the range of different ingrediants within first-rate examples of any particular style.

Brew Ware is a good book if you like building your own equipment.

the_bird said:
Yeah, Designing Great Beers (Ray Daniels) is an awesome resource - but it's very technical in nature. Most of it is aimed at AG brewers; are you extract or AG? Once you start wanting to develop your own recipes, it's invaluable, but for just starting out I would recommend using either established recipes or buying (good) kits from places like Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew. Focus on the process of making beer before you worry about making your own recipes.

I am doing extract at the moment, and yes just doing the kits for a while to play around with them. Not sure If I will get into AG or not
After a few kits some extract recipes is the next step. Are they more limited recipe wise when doing extract?

Siebel Institute uses a book written in the '50's by Jean DeClerck called "The Textbook of Brewing". I've been trying to find a copy on the cheap. Northern Brewing has it for $75, and Amazon has volumes 1 and 2 used for $149. I've tried interlibrary loan through a bunch of local and regional libraries, but to no avail.:(

Back