500 L Chocolate Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomStew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a stout recipe, and I see on the website where I'll be buying my ingredients that their chocolate malt is 500 lovibond. Now, my question is, since it's darker than average chocolate malt (I understand it usually is around 350?) would it give more coffee/roasted flavors?

In that case, could I use only this dark malt in my recipe (with the other ingredients of course) or would I still need to throw in some roasted barley?

Thanks!

According to the BYO Resource Guide some british chocolate malts are rated with the following:

Chocolate Malt 395°-475° 1.034 Nutty, toasted flavor, brown color. Use in brown ales, porters, stouts and bocks.

I would say you could substitute more of the chocolate for the roasted barley compared to american chocolate, but not all. (ex. recipe called for 1.25lbs of chocolate malt(350lov) and .75lbs of roasted barley(550lov)....I would say do 1.00 chocolate (500lov) and 0.5lb roasted barley (550lov). while not exactly equal, I believe it would be a manageable exchange. I have also been to the bar tonite...so my evaluations may be skewed.

...I plan on adding that last comment to my signature.
Kyle Wolf

Haha, thanks, you must not be that drunk, what you said makes sense. I'll probably add half a pound of roasted barley! I'll tell you how i turned out in a few weeks if I remember.

Cheers!

Back