Sour Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto188

Reaction score
I made my first batch of apple cider with wild yeast 1 month ago. It came out about 5% abv and was VERY tart. I cold crashed it and saved the yeast. I brewed another batch a week later (these were only 1 gallon batches). That batch was about 5% abv and didn't taste tart at all, just like apple beer. I then cold crashed and saved the yeast. I then made a 5 gallon batch that ended up tasting VERY tart, like my first batch. What gives? What could cause this?

some infections can cause this. Lactobacillus is one I think that can cause this. that is what gives sourdough its sourness. I think I may be having the same issue you are having. I am in the end of week two for my first 2.5 gal cider batch and it is turning out a little on the sour side.

... I then made a 5 gallon batch that ended up tasting VERY tart, like my first batch. What gives? What could cause this?

Add some yeast nutrient, it will keep the yeast happy and they won't produce the sulfur that causes the tartness. 1 tbsp per gal.

Is there any common unsuspecting substance you can get at the store whichworks as yeast nutrient?

Is there any common unsuspecting substance you can get at the store whichworks as yeast nutrient?

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/qa.asp

Jack Keller said:
Yeast Nutrient Substitute

We recently moved to Africa and I...forgot to bring yeast nutrient.
Do you know any good substitutes? Shannon and Jenny Burke, Thies, Senegal

There are numerous authorities that cite different ingredients and proportions. Proprietary yeast nutrients usually contain DAP (diammonium phosphate), which supplies nitrogen and phosphorus; urea, which supplies nitrogen; citric (and perhaps other) acid; trace amounts of biotin; and yeast hulls. The formulations of these nutrients are not generally public knowledge.

Less secret are the formulations of yesteryear. Pre-World War II recipes used malt extract and lemon juice as nutrient, while many post-war recipes used to use ammonium sulphate, magnesium sulphate, potassium phosphate, and citric acid for yeast nutrient. Both, I am told, worked well enough, but not as well as today's formulations. I would suspect that it would be easier to order a packaged nutrient from an out-of-country supplier and pay shipping than to find DAP and the other constituents locally and experiment with proportions. Still, a chemist (druggist) might be able to mix the following nutrient for you without problem:

* ammonium sulphate...........130 grains
* magnesium sulphate........... 20 grains
* potassium phosphate.......... 70 grains
* citric acid ...........................260 grains

This makes an ounce of nutrient, enough to make four gallons of non-grape wine or two gallons of mead. While not as good as commercial formulations, it still should work well enough. The absolute against-the-wall substitute is malt extract and citric acid (lemon juice) mixed half-and-half.

I don't know if I'd describe sulfur as tart.

What sort of tartness do you mean, exactly? Tart like a sour beer, or like really tart apples? Did you use the same cider from the same source to ferment each time?

Back