Mason jars as bottling alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasrj

Reaction score
Pretty self-explanatory, any thoughts/recommendations reagrding the use of canning-type mason jars in lieu of regular bottling? I can forsee a few issues, but was wondering if anyone had tried it out before.

I've never tried it, but Mason jars shouldn't be able to stand up to the pressure of the carbonation. I wouldn't try it if I were you.

I did it once, it was actually one of those "drinking jars" but with a Mason lid, it was 15 years ago, likely only my first or second batch of beer. I had no issues with it.
I did a half dozen or so.
libbey-97085-16-oz-drinking-jar-12-cs1.jpg

Just remember mason/canning jars are meant to release pressure and hold a vacuum, so they will let out pressure. How much so is up to how cold the beers stay and their carbonation level.

I will be using mason jars for my Hard Tea experiment... it will be a still drink, so I will purge with CO2 and put the lids on. I would be afraid to prime a batch and stick them in, although some on here have reported no issues after doing that.

You will not be able to prime and carbonate a beer in a mason jar. Mason jars DO NOT hold pressure in, they hold a vacuum... the opposite of what you want for beer.

You will not be able to prime and carbonate a beer in a mason jar. Mason jars DO NOT hold pressure in, they hold a vacuum... the opposite of what you want for beer.

Well, not saying you are wrong but it worked for me. If the lid is on tight it still seals.

I feel like the drinking jars are of glass that's a little thicker than the normal jars...but that might just be me.

I mentioned it at my LHBS and teh owner said lots of people bottled beer in jars in the old days.

Yes because old time homebrewing has such a good reputation of non-exploding bottles :D

I would stick with bottles that are rated to hold the pressure. But it's your beer and it's having it shatter is worth the risk, it's yours to take.

i have a very hard headed buddy brew some crazy sassafras beer(?) he made 15 gallons of it and then put it all in mason jars , becase thats the way he does his wine too. it worked so so about 80% of the lids held , the other 20% or so dinted up and vinted off some of teh gas so they did not carb as well but there was zero catastrophic failure, how ever if it was not nasty hooch and has been good beer 20% loss could be catastrophic

I tried it and it worked for me using 16 oz jars and 28 oz jars. I haven't tried anything larger.

And I would not recommend using the wide mouth jars but I have not tried them so I can not say that they would not work.

That being said there are a couple of problems with Mason jars as beer bottles.

1. they are clear so the beer can get skunked if not kept away from light.
2. Mason jar lids and rings are considerably more expensive than bottle caps.

Pretty self-explanatory, any thoughts/recommendations reagrding the use of canning-type mason jars in lieu of regular bottling? I can forsee a few issues, but was wondering if anyone had tried it out before.

I believe you are looking for the Moonshine Forum. :D

When I think of Mason jars, I think of a vacuum. The pressure on the side of the jar might cause breakage. Obviously, no first hand experience though.

Back