My first Homebrew Setup / South Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwarmstrong

Reaction score
Well, I just finished reading How to Brew by Palmer, I bought the most recent version off of Amazon, great book. I took my time and read it very slowly, highlighting key areas and even flagging certain pages for reference, haha, what a nerd.

Anyways, I have heard that Midwest Supplies is a pretty good online supply store. I guess that leads me to the question:

Are there any home brew supply stores in South Florida (I live in Fort Lauderdale)?

If not, I was thinking of purchasing this kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-w-two-5-gallon-glass-carboys.html

I am not the type of person that likes to (or needs to) buy the minimum to start a new hobby. Typically, I go all out and get a pretty good setup. I have great attention to detail and even took some notes while reading the book (some key reminders).

If someone could address any or all of those points/questions, that would be great. Looking forward to :mug:

Thanks,

Daniel

That's a great kit. I can tell from experience that you're going to want that glass carboy anyways.

My friend is lending me a 5 gallon carboy until the end of the summer. When he takes it back I'm going to buy 2 better bottles. The glass gives me the creeps (fear of breaking it, and having to buy my friend a new one/suffering grievous injury), but I love it.

If you decide you want better bottles instead of glass carboys, Midwest will swap them out...it even saves you a few bucks as the BB are cheaper (this is what I did recently). I'm guessing shipping might go down a little as well, but I'm not sure about that as dimensional weight probably applies here. I've used glass at a friend's but bought BB myself. So far I'm happy with them and don't see any reason to switch to glass. I got one 6.5g for primary and a 5g for secondary - It's been working great so far.

I can also tell you though that buying some kind of carrying rig for the carboys is an awesome idea.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-brew-hauler.html

Maybe you can get some deal on the shipping or something. I cold crash my carboys in a minifridge, and delicately placing the carboy not only rilies it up (because you can't carry a full carboy from the neck, so you gotta tilt it at some point). When moving it around With the rig you can lower it on to whatever surface you want...bet it a countertop for racking or an ice bath or a minifridge

Don't know about places near South Florida. I'd google it.

I bought a real similar kit about a year ago, and definitely didn't regret it. I'd also recommend a brewers best ingredient kit. Contains all the software to make your first batch. Including a step by step instruction page to make the beer in the kit. That page is what taught me to brew. Start out with a dark or amber beer. They tend to be the easiest to make, as they mask off flavors in case you mess a little something up your first try.

Have fun!

Not true. BrewBox Miami, just north of Doral. www.brewboxmiami.com

I've actually went to that address that is on the website and it was a construction company. There were no signs at the front. I've called the phone number listed and no one ever picks up. I left a VM, but no one has called be back with any info.

I'm going to have to say BX Beer Depot is still the only homebrew shop in the South Florida area. BrewBox Miami is kinda shady to me. Unless you live near Orlando, I've had success with Heart's Homebrew.

I've actually went to that address that is on the website and it was a construction company. There were no signs at the front. I've called the phone number listed and no one ever picks up. I left a VM, but no one has called be back with any info.

I'm going to have to say BX Beer Depot is still the only homebrew shop in the South Florida area. BrewBox Miami is kinda shady to me. Unless you live near Orlando, I've had success with Heart's Homebrew.

Great, another homebrewer in South Florida! I'm in Plantation, which is essentially Fort Lauderdale.

BrewBox is just getting started. It's a project between two guys who are into homebrewing, and they are basically building the store out of an extra space in one of the guy's construction company's office. They still don't have much but can order for you.

Honestly, it's 1 hour from Ft. Lauderdale to BX Beer Depot, so I almost always end up ordering online. Check out MoreBeer, they have free shipping over $60 and Austin Homebrew has free shipping over $100.

That's a good kit to get if you're just starting out.

The glass carboys, together, are worth about $80. The funnels, brushes, auto-siphon, and other various items are easily worth $40. Should you decide that homebrewing is your thing, and should you decide to upgrade those food grade plastic buckets are quite handy for storing grain.

The master brewing kit that they sell is a complete rip-off. 5-lbs CO2 tanks, brand new and filled, go for $70, and the cornelius kegs you can get for $20-$40 each. The only real pricey item is a regulator (unless you want to build your own). I find using a dual-regulator with distribution blocks is extremely useful.

EDIT: I get my tanks filled at AirGas (right around the corner).

Honestly, it's 1 hour from Ft. Lauderdale to BX Beer Depot, so I almost always end up ordering online. Check out MoreBeer, they have free shipping over $60 and Austin Homebrew has free shipping over $100.

Same here, I usually order online but every now and then I find my way up there to stop in. They have AMAZING rotation of taps that work their way through, and recently opened up on Saturday nights for the tiki bar w/ jam sessions from locals. 3 dollar Sierra Nevada Celebration drafts too to draw in the Saturday crowd.

Heading up there December 1st for a spiced ale tasting (commercial and homebrew).

Same here, I usually order online but every now and then I find my way up there to stop in. They have AMAZING rotation of taps that work their way through, and recently opened up on Saturday nights for the tiki bar w/ jam sessions from locals. 3 dollar Sierra Nevada Celebration drafts too to draw in the Saturday crowd.

Heading up there December 1st for a spiced ale tasting (commercial and homebrew).

Nice, I'd be down for that but I work in Kendall, which is already 43 miles from my apartment, so there is no way I'm driving another 55 miles north on a work night.

Great, another homebrewer in South Florida! I'm in Plantation, which is essentially Fort Lauderdale.

BrewBox is just getting started. It's a project between two guys who are into homebrewing, and they are basically building the store out of an extra space in one of the guy's construction company's office. They still don't have much but can order for you.

I said this in an earlier reply and will say it again. We are open for business. I kind of resent the original posted calling us shady without even bothering to pick up the phone and giving us a call. Thanks, Johnny, for jumping in there for us.

I said this in an earlier reply and will say it again. We are open for business. I kind of resent the original posted calling us shady without even bothering to pick up the phone and giving us a call. Thanks, Johnny, for jumping in there for us.

I called you shady because I've called and left a voicemail asking for info. I left my cell and no one called back. I drove all the way to the address and it was a different company no one answered the door (some construction company). No real office, main phone is a Sprint cellphone that no one ever picks up, and never returns voicemails. All that equals SHADY.

You're a lousy business that insults their potential customers. Good luck with that, I'm sure the Miami market loves that kind of attitude in this economy. I'll be sure to tell everyone I know that brews in the area. I actually found out about you from the Miami Homebrewers club, I'm sure they would love to hear about how you treat potential customers, so far.

Left a VM means left a VoiceMail. Call me an EAC, but I thought that was obvious.

I would never ever get a glass carboy again. It's $20 cheaper to replace those with 6g better bottles (plastic). I've broken a glass carboy and it is downright scary. BB are better, period.

better bottles dont absorb any beer flavor/odor over the years?

better bottles dont absorb any beer flavor/odor over the years?

Mine haven't. And if they did, then.... my beer would end up tasting like... beer? I guess the only downside if that did happen would be if I tried brewing a bud light clone and ended up getting beer flavor in there :D

But no, I've made dark dark stouts, fruit beers, ciders, you name it, and they look and smell just like the day I bought them.

Mine haven't. And if they did, then.... my beer would end up tasting like... beer? I guess the only downside if that did happen would be if I tried brewing a bud light clone and ended up getting beer flavor in there :D

But no, I've made dark dark stouts, fruit beers, ciders, you name it, and they look and smell just like the day I bought them.

cool I might pick up some betterbottles.

Back