Hops for piney aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
Good morning. I was wondering what hops used as aroma hops would add more of the "piney" smell and flavor. Thanks!

+1

I dry hopped a recent IPA with 1 oz ea. of Chinook and Simcoe and it had a lovely piney aroma. I'm going to do the same thing soon for my Holiday beer.

Not quite sure if you're interested, but you can find spruce oils online that would add the "piney" notes you're looking for. Also, grains of paradise are great to use when brewing holiday beers. They have a nice spicey, piney taste and smell that goes perfectly with a holiday beer!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not familiar with Grains of Paradise, but that is also an interesting suggestion.

So you cat pee folks - is this something you can tell by just sniffing the pelleted hops, or a flavor that develops in the final beer? I'd like to find out how I feel about those varieties before I use them :)

That is interesting that niquejim noticed the opposite. It probably depends on the crop, and the senses of the individual. I don't have extensive experience with either variety, but that was what I observed. That was my immediate reaction to smelling Chinook pellets, and I couldn't get that thought out of my head.

So you cat pee folks - is this something you can tell by just sniffing the pelleted hops, or a flavor that develops in the final beer?

To me, just about every variety of hop pellets smells citrusy to some extent, even if the hops don't give any citrus flavor in the boil.

Back