Beerfest ... the movie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailman

Reaction score
so exactly who is going to see it? ya know as beer drinkers it almost seems necessary..

it did rank #4 this week...

if you went.. was it any good?

I haven't seen it, but one of the women at Hop Madness said, "It was just stupid enough to be funny."

(sigh) Um, I don't think so. Not to be too beer-snobbish or anything, but...I'd wager that every single ounce of beer depicted in that movie has an SRM of no more than 1.0, and their names are probably succeeded by "Lite".

I saw the commercials, and it seemed like a Man-Show-esque lowbrow celebration of getting ripped on cheap mass-market beer, and seeing how insane things get. As such, I don't think it's necessary for homebrewers and appreciators of fine craft brew to see such a movie. That's like saying that wine connoisseurs would be obliged to see a movie about bums drinking MD 20/20 and Thunderbird.

Hell, I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd love to hear that "beerfest" was a quality comedy that portrayed beer drinkers in a positive light...but judging from the commercials, I highly doubt it. Looks like it's going to be yet another flick that furthers the stereotype of the beer drinker as an over-the-top drunkard who acts like a crazed frat boy all the time...and portrays beer as swill for the idiot masses. That's not what we need. I work part-part-time in a fine wine & beer shop, and I do everything in my power to elevate beer to at least somewhere in the neighborhood of wine as a fine beverage, and not just something to pour into a funnel and chug. Movies like this, they don't help.

There, that's my beer-snob-screed. Go see the flick if you want, but don't expect there to be any discussion about Original Gravity or fruity esters.

Well, it looked dumb to me and judging by a sampling of reviews, some of which read funnier than the film probably is, I might be right:

Beerfest' goes flat fast
[SIZE=-1]USA Today - Aug 24, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Like Snakes on a Plane, Beerfest pretty much gives the plot away in the title. Unlike Snakes, Beerfest doesn't have Samuel L. Jackson going for it. Or snakes. ...[/SIZE]

"Beerfest": Chug-a-lug, dummkopfs
[SIZE=-1]Seattle Times, United States - Aug 25, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The best joke in "Beerfest" is built around actor Jürgen Prochnow — the severe-looking star of a certain 1981 international hit film about a World War II ... [/SIZE]

"Beerfest" a flat concoction
[SIZE=-1]Reuters - Aug 24, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Beerfest," as the title promises, is an alcohol-driven comedy about young and foolish men and a fondness for contests ... [/SIZE]

The comedy goes flat in guy-focused 'Beerfest'
[SIZE=-1]Detroit Free Press, United States - Aug 25, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]BY TERRY LAWSON. Paul Soter, left, and Erik Stolhanske play brothers-in-suds Jan and Todd Wolfhouse in "Beerfest." ... [/SIZE]

‘Beerfest’ humor tastes flat
[SIZE=-1]Boston Herald, United States - Aug 24, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Ale-loving morons and liquor-guzzling idiots are the stars of ’’Beerfest,” a raunchy frat boy extravaganza that is about as funny as a hangover. ... [/SIZE]

'Beerfest' is dregs of summer comedies
[SIZE=-1]Boston Globe, United States - Aug 25, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Making a comedy that celebrates binge drinking and cretinous behavior isn'ta crime against nature. Making one that's as brutally unfunny as ``Beerfest" is ... [/SIZE]

'Beerfest' an Insult to Alcohol
[SIZE=-1]OhmyNews International, South Korea...[/SIZE]

My bet is, it did great box office this past weekend b/c a lot of college kids headed back to school and this gave them a break. I bet it's gone after next weekend and will be in your Lackluster Video store before Oktoberfest begins.

Entertainment Weekly kinda liked it, I think they gave it a "B+" as a stupid comedy that actually worked fairly well. I've tended to agree with most of their reviews (much moreso than for most other publications), so I take that as a pretty decent indication. I can't imagine convincing the wife that we should get a sitter to go see it, but the video store happens to be right next to the package store....

well personally .. opinions are kinda like.. well i wont go there.. its not like we were being serious.. its as if you dont think that we as "beer drinkers" cannot have fun..we have to have our thumb up our prestigious butts all the time as if we are better than the world because we homebrew.. thats not how i see it..

In reality i homebrew because i enjoy it.. i like the craft ... i enjoy drinking what i brew...i like the flavors, the variety, the spice of life..and if you dont.. well then maybe you need to find a craft in which you can truly enjoy and not have such an air about yourself and not be quite so serious that one movie may turn the whole world against beer drinkers..

see what others think of me doesnt bother me...there are those out there that may not think much of me because im a woman who loves beer..who loves to brew beer and who loves to drink beer.. do i care? NO..

i dont mean to come across as nasty..but i also dont like the assumption that just because there may be a movie out there that appeared to be funny and someone thought it would be "witty" to post about it on a site of LOTS of beer drinkers...that there is any thoughts that homebrewers or beer drinkers in the world are portrayed in any way...

i carry myself with respect where ever i may be.. whether with a group of "lite" beer drinkers or a group of homebrewers.. because all in all its not what i brew or how i brew it.. or what i watch or where i go.. but WHO I AM that matters...

that just in my "own" personal opinion.... and Dude (or any other moderators..) if this in inappropriate in any way.. feel free to delete it.. however i felt the need to vent..

it get a little uptight when ASSUMED that one thing was meant and it WASNT!

(in reality i probably wouldnt go to the theater to see it ..because well i couldnt sit back, relax and have a homebrew while i laughed at it.. :D )

I'm curious how super troops did with the critics, that movie was awesome.

Rhoobarb said:
Well, it looked dumb to me and judging by a sampling of reviews, some of which read funnier than the film probably is, I might be right:

Beerfest' goes flat fast
[SIZE=-1]USA Today - Aug 24, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Like Snakes on a Plane, Beerfest pretty much gives the plot away in the title. Unlike Snakes, Beerfest doesn't have Samuel L. Jackson going for it. Or snakes. ...[/SIZE]

"Beerfest": Chug-a-lug, dummkopfs
[SIZE=-1]Seattle Times, United States - Aug 25, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The best joke in "Beerfest" is built around actor Jürgen Prochnow — the severe-looking star of a certain 1981 international hit film about a World War II ... [/SIZE]

"Beerfest" a flat concoction
[SIZE=-1]Reuters - Aug 24, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Beerfest," as the title promises, is an alcohol-driven comedy about young and foolish men and a fondness for contests ... [/SIZE]

The comedy goes flat in guy-focused 'Beerfest'
[SIZE=-1]Detroit Free Press, United States - Aug 25, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]BY TERRY LAWSON. Paul Soter, left, and Erik Stolhanske play brothers-in-suds Jan and Todd Wolfhouse in "Beerfest." ... [/SIZE]

‘Beerfest’ humor tastes flat
[SIZE=-1]Boston Herald, United States - Aug 24, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Ale-loving morons and liquor-guzzling idiots are the stars of ’’Beerfest,” a raunchy frat boy extravaganza that is about as funny as a hangover. ... [/SIZE]

'Beerfest' is dregs of summer comedies
[SIZE=-1]Boston Globe, United States - Aug 25, 2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Making a comedy that celebrates binge drinking and cretinous behavior isn'ta crime against nature. Making one that's as brutally unfunny as ``Beerfest" is ... [/SIZE]

'Beerfest' an Insult to Alcohol
[SIZE=-1]OhmyNews International, South Korea...[/SIZE]

My bet is, it did great box office this past weekend b/c a lot of college kids headed back to school and this gave them a break. I bet it's gone after next weekend and will be in your Lackluster Video store before Oktoberfest begins.

I have not yet seen it, but I can't wait to turn off my brain, sit back, and laugh my a$$ off. I'll probably wait 'til it hits DVD or pay per view though. I despise going to the movies most of the time.

Super Troopers and Club Dread (Same people who made Beerfest) are two of the funniest movies I can think of. Granted, you have to enjoy this certain stupid type of humor to fully appreciate it.

Certain people in this world don't enjoy things like laughing at drunk people, and boobs. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Some people don't like stouts and IPA's either.

To each his/her own! :mug:

Evan! said:
(sigh) Um, I don't think so. Not to be too beer-snobbish or anything, but...I'd wager that every single ounce of beer depicted in that movie has an SRM of no more than 1.0, and their names are probably succeeded by "Lite".

I saw the commercials, and it seemed like a Man-Show-esque lowbrow celebration of getting ripped on cheap mass-market beer, and seeing how insane things get. As such, I don't think it's necessary for homebrewers and appreciators of fine craft brew to see such a movie. That's like saying that wine connoisseurs would be obliged to see a movie about bums drinking MD 20/20 and Thunderbird.

Hell, I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd love to hear that "beerfest" was a quality comedy that portrayed beer drinkers in a positive light...but judging from the commercials, I highly doubt it. Looks like it's going to be yet another flick that furthers the stereotype of the beer drinker as an over-the-top drunkard who acts like a crazed frat boy all the time...and portrays beer as swill for the idiot masses. That's not what we need. I work part-part-time in a fine wine & beer shop, and I do everything in my power to elevate beer to at least somewhere in the neighborhood of wine as a fine beverage, and not just something to pour into a funnel and chug. Movies like this, they don't help.

There, that's my beer-snob-screed. Go see the flick if you want, but don't expect there to be any discussion about Original Gravity or fruity esters.

It's from the guys who made Supertroopers WTF you expect? It's not billed as a documentary it's billed as a summer comedy You go to the movies looking to discuss original gravity or fruity esters?
The protologist called while you were out . . .Your stickinthendectomy is schedualed for Friday.

BTW personally I really dont give a flying rats arse what people think of me or the fact I like to brew and drink beer and if they want to look down their noses at me for it it's fine by me, just more people I dont ever have to worry about comming over to my place and drinking all my brew.
:tank:

The wife is going out of town this weekend and I'm gonna try togo see it b4 she gets back . . . I might even smuggle some homebrew into the theater to enjoy while i watch it.
:mug:

I never saw Super Troopers until a couple nights ago... The only reason I rented it because I thought Beerfest was insanely funny! But, I was not impressed with Super Troopers. Could just be me, but I thought Beerfest was a hell of a lot better than Super troopers. Word of warning, it is a "college" type movie and I did see it in a college town. If you don't like chugging beer, snazzages and boobs with all around rauchy humor that comes with that - don't go. I do look forward to some feedback from someone who actually went though!

Oh, I got to reply to Evan on the BMC comment. Wrong - it's premise is about the "best beer recipe" ever that was stolen out of Germany and taken to america. So no BMC :).

I intend to see it when I get back in town. I'll head to the Alamo Drafthouse to settle in with a pitcher of Franziskanner Weissbier and check it out. Beer & a movie. Great stuff.

I saw it, I thought it was hilarious. If you played drinking games in college, or ever, it will probably be funny. I didn't have high hopes for a great movie, but I will say that a lot of the beer they drink is above ~6 SRM. So, whatever, I thought it was hilarious.

Evan! said:

Wow, I'd hate to see how worked up you get over something that's actually important!

This movie won't make a damn bit of difference to the public's perception of beer. It's a comedy, not some "Jungle"-esque expose about the brewing industry. Sheesh.

It looks funny to me, but I'm a big fan of stupid humor. That being said, it's something that I will wait to see when it's on DVD or Cable. I can't see getting a sitter and wasting a night out to see a silly comedy. Come to think of it, I don't do that for ANY movie these days - LOL

i wasnt planning to see Beerfest, but as the weekend gets closer, i am having visions of stopping at Karl Strauss Breweries for a few Red Trolley's then catching a showing. ok, so im looking forward to the Red Trolley's more than the movie. :cross:

I went to see it and I loved it! I think it's a tie with Super Troopers and better than Club Dread. It is def geared for college students and anyone with a raunchy sense of humor. Das Boot! Boot in German actually means "boat" and 'Das Boot' was a really F-ed up old book/movie in Germany so... oh well.

Back