Which Water Filter to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlammer

Reaction score
I am currently using my tap water to brew with, and i want to get a water filter to take the chlorine out of the water.

I would like to keep using my water, as it is overall, very good water (Im a water engineer, so i try to keep support my people... know what i mean).

Anyone know where to get a cheap carbon filter? I was thinking about a shower head filter so i can just screw it on and off.

What do you guys think?

I've been using the whole-house filter made by the Omni Corporation. They're effective and reasonably priced, and the filters (in a variety of applications, including carbon for your chlorine) are widely available, or just order them from their web site. About 6 months ago, I helped my son install the Omni whole house unit for a carbon filter, since they had the worst chlorine in their water supply I'd ever tasted. Worked like a charm.

I use a blue RV filter. It screws right to my rig and white RV hose. Woks great and they are cheap and I can get them at many different local places.

ebay. search for Ro/di filter. any of the units that use 10" filters will work. get one with clear filter housings, so you can see when to change the carts.

I get 0 TDS water from mine. Absolutely clean H2O. But I use it for my fish tank, not brewing.

You could go the cheap route and build one from parts from HD/Lowes. Go to the water filter section and piece together a couple of housings, then get one prefilter (1micron) and a carbon block. It will probably cost about $60-75. You can get a cheap 3-stage RO/DI from ebay for $100.

B

I use a blue RV filter. It screws right to my rig and white RV hose. Woks great and they are cheap and I can get them at many different local places.

Exactly what I was going to recommend. I also use an RV filter and the white potable water hose. You can even buy RV filters and potable hose at WalMart in the automotive/RV section. They are cheap and disposable. What's funny is I see some setups with water filters and a regular green garden hose.

RV filters work great. I went with the More Beer filter because you can see inside it and change the filters when appropriate. There is a really noticeable difference in taste from using the filter. It takes the skunkiness out.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16762//Water_Filter_Kit_-_10_inch

Filters are so much easier than buying bottled water at the store and after only a couple of months I had made my money back.

Will these filters remove chloramines?
I've been using campden tablets to remove chloramine. I can't taste the sulfites but I would rather not have them in my beer if it's an option. Just in case any of my friends are allergic to sulfa's, I would hate to have my beer trigger a reaction :(

You don't get sulfites using camdem tablets to dechlorinate your water.

Camden reacts with and breaks down the chlorine and chloramine down into sulfates and chloride both of which are in your brewing water already.

BYO ARTICLE

Carbon really doesnt filter anything. It helps whith chlorine, tastes and smells, but RO or RO/DI is the way to go. Of course I have 2 hobbies that "needed" "lab grade water". So That plus great drinking water for my family made it an easy choice.

Another reason I like the idea of RO and this opinon is based only on my experience with marine aquariums is that water can only physically hold so much stuff, ex: calcium, magnesium, iodine. etc. So therefor eif you strip the water of this stuff you have a wate rthat is able to absorb what you expose it too more regularly. Like Sugar for instance.

I have read (and I do this, now) that chlorine will evaporate from water left to sit over night. I just fill my ale pail with the water I'm going to brew with and it is fine. However, this is the reason many systems now use chloromine, so it doesn't evaporate. You just have to check which you local water supply is using. But! Filtered water is tasty, so a good home system is also nice.

I started using the Cuno Aquapure AP200 about 4 months ago, and I am extremely happy with it.

http://www.aquapure.com/fromlearnsys/big200.html

I strongly suggest it if you are looking to use a carbon filter instead of the cartridge style filters (like the one from B3). It filters at 2 GPM and screws right onto my rig.

Joe

FILTER ASSEMBLY.jpg

Back