carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
So I just opened a brew I have had bottled for about 3 weeks and as always you guys were right it tasted crappy after 10 days and is great now, but when I opened the bottle foam started shooting out of the bottle and when I pour it, it is mostly foam. The beer is not carbed all that much and I will leave it a little while longer to get the right carbonation. I used 5 oz of priming sugar. So why is it so foamy?

One thing it could be is, the fermentation was not complete by the time you bottled it. I have opened warm bottles of home brew before and have not had this problem. I do not thinl temp is the main cause of the issue.

The down side is... I don't know of a way to fix the issue that you having.

Nope, was it that easy?

yes it really could be that easy. warm beer does not hold carbonation like cold beer does. stick a bottle in the fridge for a day or two then open. i bet it wont foam up nearly as much if at all. also 5 oz corn sugar is a bit much for most beer styles.

One thing it could be is, the fermentation was not complete by the time you bottled it. I have opened warm bottles of home brew before and have not had this problem. I do not thinl temp is the main cause of the issue.

The down side is... I don't know of a way to fix the issue that you having.

I have also opened warm beers with no problem, and left it in the primary for 3 weeks. I don't know whats up with this batch.

If it still volcanos after you chill it my guess is that it wasnt done fermenting or you may have used to much priming sugar.

If you did overdo it on priming sugar or bottled before fermentation was totally done you are looking at bottle bombs. I've experienced this once. It created a huge mess and believe me I moved the remaining bottles to the fridge as quickly and gingerly as possible. I didn't want one going off in my hands.....

Back