NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait wait wait. So you don't pay tax on beer sold at the brewery? You could put in a bar like most micros and not get taxed for sales???

Federal taxes are determined when your beer is placed in a Tax Determination Tank. Removal is when the tax determined beer leaves the tank. It doesn't matter what method is used to remove the beer from the brewery.

Congrats! Time to starting living the dream! So are you going to stick to a couple of key styles/recipes, or try a variety?

I'm going to start out with a variety until I get enough feed back to any one particular style. Then I'll keep that style as a constant but still cycle through other styles just to keep it interesting.

Federal taxes are determined when your beer is placed in a Tax Determination Tank. Removal is when the tax determined beer leaves the tank. It doesn't matter what method is used to remove the beer from the brewery.

And my understanding is that a Tax Determination Tank is my kegs. I'll have kegs marked for record keeping and regardless of where or when the beer leaves that keg, it's taxed because it was filled. My Seller's Permit is for the shop downtown and not for the Brewery. I may get a second permit for the Brewery if I want to have a tasting room there but I'm not sure I want to deal with the traffic of people at my home just yet.

Hey HBHoss - Congrats! That's awesome. Hell yeah. I run my tax determination basically the same way, designating any primed keg tax determined. Remember if you sell beer to someone who's going to drink it, you're going to have to pay sales tax. The state will constantly remind you, though, so it'd be hard to really forget.

Hooray beer!

Gordie.

Hey HBHoss - Congrats! That's awesome. Hell yeah. I run my tax determination basically the same way, designating any primed keg tax determined. Remember if you sell beer to someone who's going to drink it, you're going to have to pay sales tax. The state will constantly remind you, though, so it'd be hard to really forget.

Hooray beer!

Gordie.

Ya, it's kinda scary now knowing this is actually happening. In an exciting sort of way, of course. :)

6 X 10 cold room framing.

9-23-09 Cold Room.jpg

Most excellent! I'm up in Mariposa once a month now for guide dog training with my daughter. I'll have to stop by and we can share a couple of home/pro brews! :mug:

There are web sites that list all the permits and licenses etc.. necessary. I'm still dealing with the state and feds but it's all going well. They're not used to such a small operation. Right now I'm basically a homebrewer wanting to sell his beer. I don't have all the numbers but it's something like .20/gallon excise tax, $1,000 Surety Bond, around $400 for upfront taxes and license fees. I still need to get a label okayed from both state and feds. Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

would you mind listing some of the websites you used? i'm in NJ and am in the infancy of planning a possible venture. i've spent time on the ttb website but if there are any others you can share, please do!

ps, this thread is awesome, inspiring and nerve wrecking all at once :mug:

I'm going to start out with a variety until I get enough feed back to any one particular style. Then I'll keep that style as a constant but still cycle through other styles just to keep it interesting.
Sounds like a plan. Good luck!!

would you mind listing some of the websites you used? i'm in NJ and am in the infancy of planning a possible venture. i've spent time on the ttb website but if there are any others you can share, please do!

ps, this thread is awesome, inspiring and nerve wrecking all at once :mug:

I would search for Microbrewery New Jersey. TTB is a good one for info and forms. Not sure who your state agency is. In California it's the ABC or Alcoholic Beverage Control. Perhaps find a state business license web site. They may have a list of the different categories.

This is awesome. It would be so cool to make a few bucks on the hobby. Good luck!

I would search for Microbrewery New Jersey. TTB is a good one for info and forms. Not sure who your state agency is. In California it's the ABC or Alcoholic Beverage Control. Perhaps find a state business license web site. They may have a list of the different categories.

i reached out to a local winery and a local brewery and they both simply said just call the abc and they will answer the questions... thanks though!

New pics. I decided to just use a floor paint instead of tiles or sheets of vinyl.

I installed the A/C unit in the cold room area.
9-30-09 flooring.jpg

I also installed a turbine vent to keep the air circulating.
9-30-09.jpg

I'll back up Hoss's statement. I work with the TTB several times a month at work and always have a positive interaction with them. I've also interacted with them on a personal level.

Good to hear I'm not the only one.

On a side note, looks like it's time to buy my Kilt. Can't be Scottish and have a brewery without having a Kilt. ;)

On a side note, looks like it's time to buy my Kilt. Can't be Scottish and have a brewery without having a Kilt. ;)

Well said. It looks amazing! I can't wait to see how the rest of it comes out. Good luck!

What are you going to do for lighting in that bad boy? I would recommend 4' T5 fixtures. They put out a ton of light, don't burn through electricity like crazy and stay relatively cool compared to most other fixtures on the market.

What are you going to do for lighting in that bad boy? I would recommend 4' T5 fixtures. They put out a ton of light, don't burn through electricity like crazy and stay relatively cool compared to most other fixtures on the market.

That's what I was going to setup. I have an electrician coming out tomorrow to determine my options. I was counting on splicing into the electrical in the Well pump house but the pump guy said it could hose the well pump. Don't want to do that.
I also have a water sample out getting a full test. It'll be interesting to see the results of that.

What size batches are you planning on doing when you officially go pro?

I'll start with 10 gallon batches and go from there. I have the two 15 gallon Sanke fermenters and the pots on the 3 tier are all 15 gallon which will net about 13 gallons. 10 to sell and 3 to keep. ;)

This is interesting, but at 6 hours per batch and 10 gallons, figure on selling the sixtels for 80 bucks each (which is super expensive) you are getting 160 dollars per batch revenue. Take out the cost of running the brewery,ingredients, taxes, licensing.

You are not going to make any money to speak of.

I know in SC licensing costs 2000 dollars a year, which would come down to almost 20 batches of profit for you...

This is interesting, but at 6 hours per batch and 10 gallons, figure on selling the sixtels for 80 bucks each (which is super expensive) you are getting 160 dollars per batch revenue. Take out the cost of running the brewery,ingredients, taxes, licensing.

You are not going to make any money to speak of.

I know in SC licensing costs 2000 dollars a year, which would come down to almost 20 batches of profit for you...

License is very cheap here. My overhead is very, very low. 6 hours seems a long time per batch but this isn't going to be my main income, it's only a side gig for now. If it all folded right now I'd be left with a cool man-cave/brewery and not owing any bank or anything.

If it all folded right now I'd be left with a cool man-cave/brewery and not owing any bank or anything.

I would be very impressed if you could squeeze any profit out of this venture at all. It's good to see you have a plan "B" lined up. I don't want to discourage you, but it doesn't pencil out well at all.

I just wanted to chime in here because we are working on a similar brewery setup. Ours will be very slightly larger, but that is not the point. For us, there is a very strong allure to starting so small that failure is nothing more than a big disappointment. For me, the number reason *not* to open a brewery is because of the huge risk of failure if you drop 100K+ in equipment, location, etc... With the way me and my partner (and also HBHoss, it seems) are starting, there is very little risk of failure and little risk of wild success. Sure, we won't make much money (if any) per batch brewing at our size, the thing you have to remember is, if HBHoss gets tons of business and everyone wants his beer, it probably takes less than $1,000 and a week's worth of work to build out his system and quadruple his batch size. The important thing is that you're growing at the same size as your market, rather than starting at 10 BBL's and waiting 1.5 years for your market to catch up.

The other thing is that its just really cool to say you own a brewery!

This is looking great HBHoss! I'm really enjoying following your progress.

I just wanted to chime in here because we are working on a similar brewery setup. Ours will be very slightly larger, but that is not the point. For us, there is a very strong allure to starting so small that failure is nothing more than a big disappointment. For me, the number reason *not* to open a brewery is because of the huge risk of failure if you drop 100K+ in equipment, location, etc... With the way me and my partner (and also HBHoss, it seems) are starting, there is very little risk of failure and little risk of wild success. Sure, we won't make much money (if any) per batch brewing at our size, the thing you have to remember is, if HBHoss gets tons of business and everyone wants his beer, it probably takes less than $1,000 and a week's worth of work to build out his system and quadruple his batch size. The important thing is that you're growing at the same size as your market, rather than starting at 10 BBL's and waiting 1.5 years for your market to catch up.

The other thing is that its just really cool to say you own a brewery!

This is looking great HBHoss! I'm really enjoying following your progress.

I have a 7bbl system waiting for me once the need arises. I figure the IRS gives me 5 years to make money. :D If I break even or make a little money right now that's fine. Gives me a chance to refine my brewing technique and give the locals some good beer (hopefully).

Back