Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geofflucke

Reaction score
Howdy! Im new here but ive been browsing site for awhile now. Hoping you guy's can help me. Im brewing my 3rd batch ever and ran into a problem. Im doing a muntons nut brown ale that I got from my Lhbs and he suggested to use an amber DME instead of normal brew sugar..problem is when i get er all mixed up i find I should have added a full 1kg of it and i only added half that. So my starting grav is like 1.030 when it should be bout 1.040-1.045. Its only been in the primary for about 13 hours and is bubbling away nicely. But at that starting gravity its only gonna turn out about 2.66 alcohol right? So...when i get home today would it be ok to maybe dump bout 1 pound of honey in there to boost the gravity??

Howdy! Im new here but ive been browsing site for awhile now. Hoping you guy's can help me. Im brewing my 3rd batch ever and ran into a problem. Im doing a muntons nut brown ale that I got from my Lhbs and he suggested to use an amber DME instead of normal brew sugar..problem is when i get er all mixed up i find I should have added a full 1kg of it and i only added half that. So my starting grav is like 1.030 when it should be bout 1.040-1.045. Its only been in the primary for about 13 hours and is bubbling away nicely. But at that starting gravity its only gonna turn out about 2.66 alcohol right? So...when i get home today would it be ok to maybe dump bout 1 pound of honey in there to boost the gravity??

Personally, I'd leave it alone and let it ride. You're gonna end up with a decent "lawnmower" session beer if you do. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and enjoy.

Thank's for the feedback guy's! didnt know if it would end up making bad brew or not..sounds like im just gonna let it do it's thing! appreciate it!

Those who say “let it ride, make lawnmower beer” what is the reasoning? If I were in his shoes I’d be inclined to add honey and boost the gravity. Is there an in depth explanation or maybe some science behind this idea that lends credibility to your opinions?

Lawnmower Beer- Beer that a person can drink throughout a hot day while working in the yard that is low in alcohol content and as easy to drink as water that ultimately, doesn’t get you smashed.

Would it be alright if he made a separate boil with the extra DME and cooled and added it? Sounds like something I have done before.

Would it be alright if he made a separate boil with the extra DME and cooled and added it? Sounds like something I have done before.
I have done the same thing once or twice. It is just starting fermenting so adding the boiled and cooled extract won't hurt anything at this point. I might be prepared with a bloww off device though just for insurance.

Back