Sierra Nevada Harvest Fall 2008 Wet Hop Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
considering the conventional wisdom that says hops must be dried properly to avoid hop flavors, this beer really surprised me

i think this beer has the best, fullest, most complete hop flavor profile of any IPA i have tried, and is just AMAZING

if you havent tried it yet, do it, its worth the six bucks for the 24 ounces

i really, really loved the southern hemisphere harvest, but i think this one is even better!

I would agree, it is worth the price, but I guess it cost $3/bottle to ship it to the midwest. I will drink a few and 24oz will make a nice bottle for my homebrew! I wonder how much a Two Hearted Ale costs out there??

Paid $40 for 12 here! Yes, delicious beer and great bottles for homebrew. But $6/bottle, I wouldn't buy too many. Unless he's talking about the rare Chico Estate variety. Now that I want to try.

Two-Hearted Ale hasnt been available here for several years- apparently Bells had a disagreement with the distributor, and it is only now (past few months) that Bells is available anywhere in Illinois again- all i've seen so far is bells amber at a binny's in skokie- its too bad, because i really think bells is one of the best breweries in the country

The SN Wet Hop is a good beer. Not much hop flavor, though. I prefer the Hop Trip from Deschutes.

considering the conventional wisdom that says hops must be dried properly to avoid hop flavors, this beer really surprised me

i think this beer has the best, fullest, most complete hop flavor profile of any IPA i have tried, and is just AMAZING

if you havent tried it yet, do it, its worth the six bucks for the 24 ounces

i really, really loved the southern hemisphere harvest, but i think this one is even better!

I paid $2.99 all taxes included for a 24 oz bottle yesterday.

I'm enjoying this as I type, so my tasting notes are fresh:

Attractive coppery orange with an off-white, rocky head. The head is dense and resinous, full of prominent citrusy hop aroma. Initial malt sweetness in the forefront, fading to an assertive but balanced hop bitterness. Lingering hop flavor with heavy notes of citrus and pine, exactly what I would expect from freshly picked hops.

ok, everyone can stop rubbing it in my face that i paid six bucks for it

its the only place ive seen it, and they're prices arent great, but they are as cheap as i can get around here

i also bought it the first day the store had it- its already gone down a buck since then

And $6 isn't bad for something you're enjoying. Don't feel bad. :)

I saw it in the store the other day but already had my hands full* so I bypassed it. I think I'll pick it up next time. Glad someone mentioned it & gave it some commentary. I'll also agree with the nod to Bells. I'm new to the midwest beer scene & Bells has become my favorite of what's available out here.

*with Bells' winter white, 2 Schlafly oak aged porters, Triple Karmeliet and Southern Tier Cuvee #1

Its us IL peeps. I paid $4.99 per bottle out here. Enjoyed the last one I had last night while loading up my ebay turbo lister with a bunch of stuff and listening to tunes while the wife went out with friends. Hell of a friday night!

I spotted this today and was happy to pay about $5/bottle. It's got great color, and it's an OK beer, but I was expecting something a lot more amazing. I grow hops and love to crush them and inhale deeply when they're ripe. I LOVE hops. This stuff doesn't smell all that hoppy compared to other beers I've had recently, and it tastes even less hoppy. I was thinking it would be differently hoppy compared to the various IPAs I drink, but hoppy nonetheless, and was looking forward to learning something new about hop flavors. It's just not there. It's a good beer, but I'm disappointed. I am, however, happy to get a couple 24 oz. bottles for my own brews.

It's what I'm drinking now. Paid $3.40 per 24 ounce for 4 of them today.

Nice and hoppy in my opinion. Not quite the "Bite" of a dry hop. This fresh hop really seems to bring a lot of flavor/aroma with it without the astringency I sometimes get with dry hopping with pellets.

I like it.

I like it a lot.

I just got the harvest wet hop (red bottle, below) at the Party Source.:mug:

Sierra Nevada Wet Hop Harvest Ale

Good deal. That was the first place I checked and they didn't carry it but said they would contact their distributer.

EDIT: I was just there and all they have now is the Southern Hemisphere. The shelf label that holds that spot just says SN "Harvest Ale" so they must just stick which ever one they get in that spot.

Hi gunnar, as a hop grower I would be interested in checking out a commercial brew that you feel has a great hop character. And as a brewer I would be very interested in any recipes that you feel the same about.

I spotted this today and was happy to pay about $5/bottle. It's got great color, and it's an OK beer, but I was expecting something a lot more amazing. I grow hops and love to crush them and inhale deeply when they're ripe. I LOVE hops. This stuff doesn't smell all that hoppy compared to other beers I've had recently, and it tastes even less hoppy. I was thinking it would be differently hoppy compared to the various IPAs I drink, but hoppy nonetheless, and was looking forward to learning something new about hop flavors. It's just not there. It's a good beer, but I'm disappointed. I am, however, happy to get a couple 24 oz. bottles for my own brews.

You guys P!ss me off. I've been trying to get this for weeks at my nearby store, and finally got someone who knows what's going on to try and get it, and now it's out of season...

Seems I'll have to wait another full year to sample it.

It's tough living out here, less than 30 Fresh Hop ales at the last fest:

Astoria Brewing Co., Hoptimus Prime, Fresh Hop Ale
BridgePort Brewing Co., Hop Harvest, Imperial Pale Ale
Cascade Lakes Brewing Co., Warrior Fresh Hop Ale, Fresh Hop Pale
Deschutes Brewery, Sodbuster, Golden Ale
Deschutes Brewery, Mirror Pond made with Fresh Hops, Pale Ale
Deschutes Brewery, Hop Trip, Pale Ale
Double Mountain Brewery, Killer Green, IPA
Eugene City Brewery, Fresh Hop Pale, Pale Ale
Fort George Brewery, Ft. George Cohoperative, Pale Ale
Full Sail @ Riverplace, Lupulin, Fresh Hop Ale
Golden Valley Brewery, Tour De Willamette, Pale Ale
Hopworks Urban Brewery, Fest of Fury, Organic Oktoberfest
Laurelwood Brewing Co., Hop Bale Pale, Pale Ale
Laurelwood Brewing Co., Fresh Nugs, Pale Ale
Lompoc Brewing, Proletariat Red, Organic Red
Lompoc Brewing, Octobock, Bock
Lompoc Brewing, Hop Press, Organic Pale
Lucky Labrador Brewing, the Mutt, Fresh Hop Ale
Ninkasi Brewing Co., Mt Hops, Pale Ale
Pelican Pub & Brewery, Elemental Ale, IPA
Rock Bottom Brewery, Hop Harvest, Fresh Hop Ale
Rogue Ales, Independence Ale, Pale Ale
Roots Organic Brewing Co., Hoppapotamus, ESB - first fresh hop ESB I've had
Widmer Brothers Brewing Co., Teaser, Xtra Pale Ale

Most of these are single hop brews.

Dammit.
I am homesick now. :(

Holiday ale fest in Portland this weekend as well. <cry>

You missed the Fresh Hop fest at The Bistro in Fremont?!

You need to do some surfing, because the Bay area has as many, if not more fests than Portland. I moved here from Sunnyvale.

You missed the Fresh Hop fest at The Bistro in Fremont?!

You need to do some surfing, because the Bay area has as many, if not more fests than Portland. I moved here from Sunnyvale.

yes.
I attend as many festivals as I can when work schedule allows.
I just miss home I guess.

I finally found a bottle of this! It is my first wet hopped beer and it did not let me down! Loved it!

I finally found a bottle of this! It is my first wet hopped beer and it did not let me down! Loved it!
I still have two bombers in the fridge. Every time I start to reach for one I , "...nope...not yet...this isn't a special enough occasion yet..."

Maybe tonight...(New Years eve?) ;)

I wish I was more into beer when I live in Washington and went to events list that.

I do however have 2 of the wet hop ales sitting at home waiting. They were $3 in the Sacremento, CA area.

Back