Lager Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerG

Reaction score
Got me an old fridge for making lager and want to try that out in the next month.

I'm thinking tempurature and conditioning of the yeast - so I am wondering if making lager starters at 70 degrees is OK?

By the way, thanks to all of the advice I get from you guys I am drinking some damn good beer these days and plan to be virtually store-free within a couple of months (except for sampling of course).

I usually do my lager starters at a cooler temp, but I suppose you can, but you'll want to cool it down for a day or two and decant off the spent wort before you pitch, otherwise you risk off flavors.

I usually make my lager starters at room temperature. After all, I'm not making beer, I'm growing yeast. After it's a huge starter that I've stepped up by adding more wort, and then it's fermented out, I put it in the fridge so it's settled out. Then I decent the spent wort. I remove it from the fridge to warm it to 48 degrees, I cool my wort to 50 degrees, and then pitch that ever so slightly cooler yeast into the wort. It takes off well, and I have no off flavors and rarely even any diacetyl.

Back