Building first Kegerator, need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinfur1

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm building my first kegorator and need a little advice. I'm trying to start kegging my homebrew to serve behind my own bar but not sure what kind of keg I need (Corny keg, Ball lock, Pin Lock). Also looking for everyone's advice on kit's. I'm attaching the one I'm looking at for you guys to give me your opinions and let me know what I'm screwing up. Thanks. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036V8QY2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming you want to keg homebrews, the link you included is for commercial kegs and will not work unless you plan on brewing 15 gallon batches.

When I started, I kept it cheap and simple - buy three corney kegs (either ball lock - very popular and a bit more expensive or pin lock shorter and bit more round also they are currently cheaper). Stick the serving kegs in you second refrigerator with cobra taps, keep the third keg for aging your stouts, Belgium or Russian imperial stouts that you a dying to brew.

As for your CO2 choice, simple is a 20 oz paint pellet canister, easier to mange than a 5 lbs. canister. If you are only going to be in your house or want to force carbonate (drink beers in three days after legging) go 5 lbs. once you want to be more mobile (bring you kegs to parties) invest in the paint pellet canister.

As for stores to check out, many fine sponsors support HBT, however I've had personal dealings with keg connections, Williams homebrew and Midwest supplies for kegging supplies - all have been good to me and I'm sure they will be equally good to you.

KegConnections gets my vote. Flat rate shipping aroun $8 and decent pricing. They have pre-built kits. One word of advise if you go with them, check l the connections for tightness. I bought two kits fromm them and the fittings were lose. Id buy from them again. Anytime though. Great place

You might want to search amazon for steel CO2 bottle s. At one time theg we're selling 10 pound reconditioned steel bottes for around $50. Thats a really good deal

That is the correct stuff from Amazon and the price is right. I read some of the reviews and they mentioned that the kegs leak (CO2 from the lid seals, be sure to use keg lube or the equivalent and that will solve your leaking problem) - that should be easily fixable.

The only other thing you need is a refrigerator to cool the kegs in. It looks like a great setup and I am sure you will be happy.

midwest supply is running some great deals right now.. I just bought a dual keg kit( just picnic taps) that went for $288. I got free shipping and 10% for a grand total of $250.

The 24 hour free shipping is only good for a few more hours..

Latest posts

Back