When did you make the switch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed about 10 batches before going to all grain. I started with Extract kits, then began brewing extract recipes. My first all-grain was the NB Chinook IPA kit. Since then, I've just been doing all-grain recipes, either found here, built myself or a combination of the two. After doing about 8 All-grain batches, I can say, it looks a lot more daunting than it really is. Once you get your system dialed in, I find it to be a lot more enjoyable process than extract was. I just feel like I have more control over the specifics of the beer.

I brewed primarily extract + steeping grains for about 8 years, with a few partial-mash batches near the end.

I went all grain almost exclusively last year, and I wish I'd manned up and done it sooner. Your brew days do take (lots) longer, but for me there's no substitute for controlling the whole process from grain to glass.

Two batches ago I decided to try one of the many 15-minute all-extract, hopbursted pale ale recipes out there, and it was nice to have a three-hour-shorter brew day, but at the end I realized A) how unfulfilling it was to give up so much control, and B) how disconnected from that batch I feel. It may be a wonderful pale ale when all's said and done, but I almost don't care.

Brewed a batch of Bee Cave IPA the day before yesterday, and did it all-grain from front to back. Used my refractometer for all the gravity measurements, skimmed off all the hot break protein myself, adjusted the RO water to the exact profile *I* wanted. This will be *my* beer, prepared *my* way, done to the best of *my* ability, mistakes and all.

For me, there's no substitute: this is the point of the art and craft of home brewing. :rockin:

Now, if this little romantic rant sounds like the experience you want from your brewing, then my advice is to go all-grain as soon as you can spring for a big pot and either a BIAB grain bag or mash tun.

If not, and you think I'm nuts, then absolutely stay with extracts and steeping grains. The quality of your beer, given equal-quality ingredients, will be effectively the same. You'll save loads of time and brow-furrowing, too, and still have awesome beer. :mug:

-Rich

I did 3 extract batches before switching to AG. I like the taste better of my all grain batches. Plus I like the process and the control I have to brew exactly the way I like. I just sampled my first "recipe from scratch that I designed", beer yesterday after 2 weeks bottle conditioning and I'm so psyched at how great it came out. I'm having so much fun doing all grain, I'm not sure I'd ever do extract again. I say go for it!

I did 6 batches of extract before I went all grain. About a month and a half. I know you can make good beer with extract but I will prob never brew one again. All I needed extra, was a mash tun that I built for $60.

Hey im right up the street from you in saugus, about 10min north of boston. Let me know if you need any pointers or want to have a brew day pm me.

I did 6 batches of extract before I went all grain. About a month and a half. I know you can make good beer with extract but I will prob never brew one again. All I needed extra, was a mash tun that I built for $60.

Hey im right up the street from you in saugus, about 10min north of boston. Let me know if you need any pointers or want to have a brew day pm me.

I'm on the South Shore in Quincy -- Your only like 20 minutes. Would love to meet up for a brew day.

Latest posts

Back