First brew rig (Go Big or Go Home)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazowie

Reaction score
Im 2 weeks from a water test then on to brewing wish me luck, this is a far cry from 10 Gallons.

20130302_114007.jpg

20130302_153148.jpg

20130302_170520.jpg

20130302_170549.jpg

20130302_170814.jpg

Nice man,I run a smaller system but I can make as much or more beer than you in the same amount of time. Three 2 vessel keggel setups so we can turn 30 at a time. 9:30 hours yesterday we did 55gal. And it could have been little faster but I was making dinner for 18 people and my buds where running the system. BUT I AM STILL IMPRESSED WITH THE SIZE OF YOUR KETTLES! :cross: would love to have two 35 gal setups.

Nice man,I run a smaller system but I can make as much or more beer than you in the same amount of time. Three 2 vessel keggel setups so we can turn 30 at a time. 9:30 hours yesterday we did 55gal. And it could have been little faster but I was making dinner for 18 people and my buds where running the system. BUT I AM STILL IMPRESSED WITH THE SIZE OF YOUR KETTLES! :cross: would love to have two 35 gal setups.

Im sure you can, these will do 31 in one shot so brew twice and 62 gallons later and i wouldnt know what to do with all the beer, haha. And I would buy pizza and call it a day, hope your dinner was good, thanks for the shout.

Friends are more than willing to help shovel out the mash town for a couple beers. This past weekend went through 240 pounds of grain in two batches... no way I am going to shovel all that crap out. Sweet looking rig!

Wow, nice rig. Is that a RIMS tube I see in the last pic?

Why Yes it is, it is form Stout Tanks and Kettles, $150.00 for the tube and all the tri-clamps and hose barbs, using a 240V - 4500W heating element running off 110.

I work for a pharmaceutical manufacturer and your equipment with the sanitary fittings and such looks good enough to start producing API's for cancer treatment! Kudos to you!

qwiksilvr00 said:
I work for a pharmaceutical manufacturer and your equipment with the sanitary fittings and such looks good enough to start producing API's for cancer treatment! Kudos to you!

Hey I might make more money with it if I could use it for that, hook me up, thanks for the shout, this has been a fun project.

The Electronics tested good, tomorrow I will run a water test. If all goes well the first batch will be the following Saturday.

Damn, here I am about to start my sailing season and you've got me wanting to get back home and work on my brew rig!

Oh well, at least I can draw inspiration from yours.

PJoyce85 said:
Subscribed.

I want to see how the first brew through it looks

Well tested good on the electronics, but the burners are so frigin hot we need to move the electronics further away from the sides and put some shields up in some strategic areas, and two more weeks maybe we can brew, had to offset the pumps 3+ inches.

bazowie said:
Well tested good on the electronics, but the burners are so frigin hot we need to move the electronics further away from the sides and put some shields up in some strategic areas, and two more weeks maybe we can brew, had to offset the pumps 3+ inches.

Thanks for the update. Sucks that you have to wait 2 weeks but better to get it right vs having to fight through a brew day.

I'm going to moving back to MN soon and want to start getting some ideas for rigs.

I'm looking at MoreBeer's sculptures as a starting point. I'm debating between a single tier flat stand or something like their tippy dump 3 tier stand.

PJoyce85 said:
Thanks for the update. Sucks that you have to wait 2 weeks but better to get it right vs having to fight through a brew day.

I'm going to moving back to MN soon and want to start getting some ideas for rigs.

I'm looking at MoreBeer's sculptures as a starting point. I'm debating between a single tier flat stand or something like their tippy dump 3 tier stand.

MN is nice country, I like both rigs, 3tier definitely takes less space, and is more convenient if you are doing 10 gallons.
I'll keep ya posted.

bigbeergeek said:
I'll stand by for first brew notes. Fantastic rig. All jealousy on my end!

No jealously needed headaches abound, figured the heat conduction issues out only to find out the thermocouple weld is ****e, need to return HLT, damn more set backs!!

I would love to come check this out on a brew day and see it in action. :ban:

Ya me too, Thermowell is fixed, doing more testing this weekend making sure to channel the extensive heat from the burners away from delicate equipment.
Shooting for the 30th

mbowen024 said:
Just curious what the total investment was?

If I had to guess which I do, I'm probably $4500.00+ in not including time, since I did the build myself, my plan is to go commercial, but that is down the road and I enjoy tinkering.

Well we are pulling the trigger and and brewing on Saturday.
A few pics to show what version 1.8 looks like. What version it will stop at I dont know just want to brew.

20130324_181804.jpg

20130323_151430.jpg

20130324_181644.jpg

No Sh@?

Your first rig? You got balls my friend! That is a beautiful sight to behold!

any updates on this how she working out for ya

Yes im on the 4th batch which was a 15 gallon batch of 11.5% Barley wine.
Few things that need to be done like insulating the burners from the mash tun, I had to offset the pumps from the frame by 6" as they were getting too hot.
I had to move the wiring to outside of the frame it was melting the insulation.
I have to stick my Propane tank in an big bucket of water to keep it from freezing.
still learning but the beer has turned out quite well so ive got that going for me.

Back