10G batch in a 8 gallon pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allsup

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a 10 gallon batch of all grain. My limiting factor is I only have an 8 gallon boil pot. I think I'll mash in & out about boil 6-7 gallons of wort and then split it between two fermentors. Then top both of with h20 to get the right volume in each.
Has anyone done something like this? Any thoughts?
Thanks

Sounds like the process used in many stovetop extract batches. The beer should be fine. You may want to keep an eye on the OG before, during and after you add the water.

another thing to consider is hop utiliztion: It will go down with the concentrated wort versus full boil. This may be important if you are scaling up a 5 gallon full boil batch you typically do.

I saw that on a different post. I don't normally make anything with more that 50 IBU's. I guess I'll try it and see. Just kind of asking if anyone had any tips or advice from past experience?

I saw that on a different post. I don't normally make anything with more that 50 IBU's. I guess I'll try it and see. Just kind of asking if anyone had any tips or advice from past experience?

Well, remember that water has a SG of 1.000. So, if you want a 1.050 beer with 50 IBUs, you'd probably need to use some software or do the math to account for the dilution. But otherwise, I think it'd be the same as any other batch.

Back