What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foster's. Australian for BMC. However, the bottles appear to be some of the best available for re-use, save for Grolsch flip-tops.

Posted earlier about a bar I found here that serves Hoegaarden. At least I've had a couple of decent beers this month...

orfy said:
If I'm right The Ausies don't drink Fosters they just spend money on marketing abroad and send the crap outa town!
I've heard the same thing. I really don't like the stuff at all, but I do like the bottles - they actually appear to be a bit better than the Sam Adams bottles everyone seems to like.

This is not one of my favorites. I'll give it a go sometime in the future to make sure I've not got a duff one.
WychCraft Tasting Note

"A pale golden potion with delicate red hues, WychCraft has a heady burst of fresh citrus aroma derived from three infusions of Styrian golding hops. A sprig of gentle warming malty flavour finishes with a dry biscuit note and a counterpoise of bitterness."
Jeremy Moss, Head Brewer http://www.wychwood.co.uk/wychwood_wychcraft.htm

bottle_wychcraft_bg.jpg

Red Hook Long Hammer IPA

Supposedly this is their Ballard Bitter renamed. I never had the Ballard, so I can't compare.

The color is a nice golden color. Some hop aroma, but not spicy. Flavor is at first the bitter hops, again not spicy, but a firm bitterness. Then a little carmely sweetness in the back. If you're looking for an over the top IPA, this is ot it. It is very balanced, not very spicy, but still enough to be called an IPA with pride. Think more of the English interpretation. A very nice beer.

Now I'm on to another IPA, one of my favorites...

Brudgeport IPA!

Except that it doesn't travel well apparently. It's missing some of the citrus flavors that I love. The hop spiciness is just lacking a little bit. It's not bad, it's just not as good as I know it is. :( This is the second time I've bought it down here and been dissapointed. I even made the store open an unopened case just so I could get a six pack that hadn't been sitting on the shelf. Next time I'm in the Portland area I'm stocking up.

Not triple fisting, but sampling three different sixers.

Harpoon IPA, Red Ale and Magic Hat #9.

I like all of them, the Red Ale the most...so far.

All are first-tastes...and the Magic Hat was a bit perplexing at first.

Whenever trying new beers, I just grab one (always buy at least two kinds) and taste, before reading label etc. Magic Hat was a fun ride, figured out why it was so fruity when I saw the mention of apricot on the label.

At first I was scared, because my wife liked it...lol.

Harpoon's are nice as well.

Bell's hopslam. WOW. :ban:

WHAMMY!

This is one brutal brew. Very good, and (though they don't clue you in on the bottle or that sixer carton) it's 10% ABV! :drunk:

Golden amber in color. Slightly hazy, half inch head to start, slim consistent through remainder of glass. Good lacing, slight malty but very dominant hop aroma. Right off the bat biting taste, slightly warm on the palate.

This is one nice brew.

Toleration Hambleton Ales, Melmerby, North Yorkshire, England. Man, this is some funky a$$ beer! I like funky beers but this is has got a wierd brown sugar sweetness along with a bitter/green apple sourness. It is a gluten free beer made from sugars. Contains no barley, rye or wheat malt. Ingredients: (as printed on the bottle) Toleration is brewed using water, Challenger, Liberty and Cascade hops, top-fermenting yeast and specially prepared sugars. I'm not sure I can tolerate the rest of this glass!

toleration_ale-bottle.jpg

Edit: I'm 2/3 the way through and it's beginning to grow on me. Still funky but tolerable.

orfy said:
If I'm right The Ausies don't drink Fosters they just spend money on marketing abroad and send the crap outa town!

Yeup. Same as XXXX (four x, not a swear word).

Marketing has a lot to answer for. Convincing us to buy stuff that we either don't want or need. I say shoot the lot of them lying to the whole of society. If the world was to be a happy place that we were all to get along and have fun then these people need to go. ...rant over.

Grimbergen Blonde.

Like a Wit, has a similar citrusy taste, sweet and a little tart. Not a bad session beer, but I'll stick with the Grimbergen Dubble.

Bell's 'Hell Hath No Fury ... Ale' 7.5% ABV

'A brew that gives you either sympathy for the devil or the courage to face him. Goes especially well with your favorite lost my girl/truck/dog/trailer song.'

:drunk:

Sprecher's Piper's Scotch Ale
A little smokier than I like, but not bad. Definitely a nice warmup after shovelling.
Plus the upside to Sprecher, 33% more beer than your average American bottle.

50/50 Bell's hopslam and New Holland's Mad Hatter IPA

Vey good combination. I mean very good.

Magic Hat HIPA....

Whoa...

Aroma is FUNKAY....stinky cheese, something else going on there....

It tastes good. Good beer all around but wow...that aroma is odd.

I almost bought the HIPA tonight, got the Smuttynose instead.

Have you had Magic Hat's Roxy Rolles? Kind of a hoppy red ale, I liked that one a lot.

the_bird said:
I almost bought the HIPA tonight, got the Smuttynose instead.

Have you had Magic Hat's Roxy Rolles? Kind of a hoppy red ale, I liked that one a lot.

Have not had it.

I wish they wouldn't include the Circus Boy in these variety 12 packs they sell...I hate that stuff. Maybe someone can drink it all gone tomorrow.

I love the Jinx though--very good beer.

BTW..it is stinky feet I'm getting in this HIPA aroma. Gross. (yes, I'm sure it isn't MY feet).

Been a long night, I've had my first Centennial Single Hop IPA, a Dick's Double Diamond Winter (Centralia, WA) and a Weatherized IPA.

All while making some beer! :ban:

For those of you drinking the new Bell's, is it totally rocking or over the top? I know I've been working my way through some of the new Deschutes Hophenge, and it is just right. Pretty much like a Stone Ruination.

Detroit Beer Company's 'Local 1529 IPA' (in light of their address). tasty.:p

Got stuck at the rencen today, power line on the people mover blew up. Ended up staying downtown a little later than we had expected. Just meant we had to stop at the DBC for dinner! Two growlers later I am home :cross:

Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout....

Good stuff, I like the hint of vanilla/oak. Nice brew that I will certainly buy again.

Right now it's Rogue Dead Guy Ale. First time I've had it, and definately something worth finding a clone for. Also saw Blue Moon and haven't tried it yet, so maybe next time.

Sad to say, but as I was walking through my Navy Exchange Package store I think I've tried just about craft/micro in there at least once.

Right now? Right this minute, nothing, because I'm at work. ;)

BUT... Saturday night was date night for Shimms and I and before we went to Wildfire (a swanky steak joint up here) for an amazing dinner, we went to Sam's Wines and Spirits (http://www.samswine.com/).

We went there a month or so ago because it's the only place around here that I've found New Holland Brewing's Dragon's Milk Ale, and we only got a couple of things.

But since it was Saturday, date night, and the following day was the Super Bowl, it was time to do a little beer sampling. In no particular order, we got :

Rodenbach Flemish Sour Ale - Read about it in BYO and wanted to try it.
Sam Adams Black - We saw this in the SA holiday pack, but picked up a sixer on its own.
Young's Double Chocolate Stout - Shimms LOVES dark beers, porters, stouts, you name it.
St. Peter's Old Style Porter - Shimms' choice.
St. Peter's India Pale Ale - My choice. The St. Peter's bottles are cool, and the beers don't score too bad.
Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA - I had to see what the buzz was all about, so I picked up a four-pack.

Of those, since we ended up taking Shimms (who didn't try any beer that day) to acute care Sunday night for pneumonia, I've only tried the Dogfish Head 90 Minute. WOW! I've never considered myself a real hop head, but as I sipped more and more of this beer I realized I liked it a lot. A lot more than I thought I would actually.

And with 9% ABV, it's a good thing I had only one, since we ended up at the acute care that night.

I can't wait to try another one. Maybe even tonight :) :mug:

OMG. Gordon IPA from Oskar Blues. Whoa....this is like Dale's Pale Ale in aroma--nothing else. This is an AWESOME IPA. It is Dale's kicked up to 11.

Killer, killer IPA.

bird, you gotta find yourself some.

You know if they distribute up my way? I'll prolly hit the good beer store (and thus the lesser HBS) this weekend. Take the little girl shopping for beer and beermaking supplies while Mommy studies :D

the_bird said:
You know if they distribute up my way? I'll prolly hit the good beer store (and thus the lesser HBS) this weekend. Take the little girl shopping for beer and beermaking supplies while Mommy studies :D

I'm not sure--but if you can't find it I'll take a look at my good beer stores again. I'm sure we can get it because Dale's is all over the place here now. I found 1 can of Gordon with the old label at a store about a half hour away--and I KNOW he can get it again.

This stuff is probably the best IPA I've ever had. Coming from me, I hope you know that it means this stuff kicks royal ass. :D

Lemme know if you can't find it.

Right now I'm drinking Nimbus Old Monkey Shine. Much better than their Oatmeal Stout which usually tastes awesome from the tap. I need an image... There we go. 8 abv is making me happy. Last one or I'll drink all the winnings. ;)

pm.jpg

desertBrew said:
Right now I'm drinking Nimbus Old Monkey Shine. Much better than their Oatmeal Stout which usually tastes awesome from the tap. I need an image... There we go. 8 abv is making me happy. Last one or I'll drink all the winnings. ;)

pm.jpg

LOL!!!!!!!! :mug:

olllllo said:
Dude:
I'll see if I can fit some Nimbus in my suitcase this weekend.

Dude, I'll send you my rye and a monkeyshine for the FFB prize. olllllo - In case you want to bring another nimbus style... Really not happy with their bottled oatmeal stout. Shame, so good at their brewery.

desertBrew said:
Dude, I'll send you my rye and a monkeyshine for the FFB prize. olllllo - In case you want to bring another nimbus style... Really not happy with their bottled oatmeal stout. Shame, so good at their brewery.

You only have to send me one, but sounds good!!!!!! :rockin:

(I really want your rye!)

Samael's Oak-aged Ale - Avery Brewing Co. Boulder CO.

This is a huge beer! 14,5% abv. Raisins, stone fruit, vanilla. Amazing beer. definitely a night cap. I wish I had a fire place right now and not because I like the poker! I would just like to sit down with this beer for the next 4 hours and contemplate my existence.

Back