Fast primary for Extract Lager. Treat it like a Lager or an ALE now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recluse

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just trying my first lager. Kind of a European Amber/Oktoberfest (extract) type. I used the Fermentis Saflager S-23, and from many posts that indicated it tends to ferment cleaner at higher temps, and because my basement was in the right range, I primaried between 53 and 57 degrees F. Took off like a shot and now, 7 days later, it seems to be DONE. 1.05 --> 1.010. I tasted the gravity sample, and it is mighty good if a tad thin. No discernible butter/butterscotch or fruity taste, but I am thinking of following 'the book' and taking the temp up for 24-48 hr for diacetyl rest and then lagering in the garage at 40-45 for 2-3 weeks.

Since the primary went by so fast, do you think I should treat this more like an ale than a lager and decrease the low temp conditioning or go by the 'lager' book?

Recipe:

3.2 lb Light DME
0.2 lb Amber DME (had it around...left over)
0.6 lb 60L Crystal Malt (steeped from start to 170, sparged with ~ 1pt 160 deg. water and removed)
0.4 lb Clover Honey
1 oz Hallertau (4.3% AA) for 45 min
0.5 oz Hallertau (4.3% AA) for 15 min
0.5 oz Tettnanger (3.2% AA) for 2 min
0.5 oz Hallertau + 0.5 oz Tettnanger at flameout.
11.5g Fermentis Saflager S-23 rehydrated in ~100 mL water at 80 deg F. Cooled to 60 degrees and pitched with wort at 60 degrees.
Using Tinseth equations, 38 IBU for 3 gal, so somewhat less in final volume.

I used a partial boil (2 gallons for a 3 gal batch) and did a late extract addition, starting with 1 lb DME for the first 30 min and the remainder + honey for the last 15 min.

I was aiming for 3 gal @ 1.057, but diluted too much and ended up with 3.5 gal @1.050.

Back