Help with Recipe: Diastatic malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWPAbrewer

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew up a Pumpkin malt for the fall, and the recipe I'm looking at is calling for Edme Diastatic Light Malt Extract. I've been looking around and I can't find it anywhere stateside, and it seems the only distributors of it are in the UK. I'd rather not pay the extra shipping to have it shipped internationally, so is there anyone selling this in the US, or is there something I could substitute it with?

I personally have never used a diastatic malt extract, but from my understanding, they are just made to have higher diastatic power. If you not familiar with all grain, the diastatic power of grains is its ability to convert the starches of itself and other grain into sugar. The only reason I can see you need the diastatic extract is because there would be a lot of specialty grains in the recipe that need to be converted. However, you usually dont steep the grains with the extract so that wouldnt make a difference.

Any chance you can post the recipe?

Back