Painted Corona Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I recently bought a corona style mill from discount tommy on ebay (I know some people around here have bought from him). Everything seems great and I was able to get it dialed into where I want which was very easy.

However, when I first opened the box it smelled like solvent. Kind of like kerosene, paint or something along that line. I realize these are made in China with most likely poor manufacturing quality. Upon further inspection it looks like all the cast metal pieces are painted with silver paint. I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this. I don't want to use it for fear of paint or worse lead paint getting into the grain.

Thought about taking some paint stripper to it or scraping it to see if paint flakes off. Also thought I might get a lead paint tester from HD/Lowes to test it. Let me know what you think. :confused:

Every one I have seen looks like that. I don't think it is paint, though. Some kind of plating, maybe chrome.

Every one I have seen looks like that. I don't think it is paint, though. Some kind of plating, maybe chrome.

I don't know if it's chrome. Wouldn't that jack up the price on these already cheap mills. Also chrome is very hard and there are spots where the "paint" is coming off like where the auger rubs against the body of the mill. This was after using it for 15 mintues to dial it in with less than half a pound of grain.

I had a similar smell, but it came from the rubber foot that you place between the surface (table, bench, etc.) and clamp in order to protect the surface. Did yours come with such a rubber piece?

The smell has since dissipated from my mill, but the rubber foot still stinks, so I keep it in a separate plastic bag.

It did come with a rubber plate kind of. It does smell but there is a smell coming from the metal as well. On further inspection there are parts of the metal that don't appear to have the glossy, silvery looking "paint". The area that is not painted is inside where painting it would be difficult. This makes me think that the shiny silver color is indeed from paint and not from a dip which would reach all surfaces. I'm planning to get a lead test kit and I'll let you know if it was positive or not.

I know the exact smell your talking about. It worried me for about an hour, then I used it and made great beer.

I think I just rinsed my mill under hot water to rid the smell of solvents. I may have also lightly sprayed it w/ glass cleaner?? and hot water. Dryed it well and put it to use.

Back