Noob here- Temperature fluctuations???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shastapk

Reaction score
First post and I'm sure this has been addressed- sorry, I can't seem to figure out the search option yet. Going for my first batch, however I live in a cabin where the temps can range from 70-80 during the day to 40's at night inside (sometimes even colder). Can I brew with this wild range? I can try and insulate/immerse the carboy in water to level this out to some extent. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Do you have a bin of some sort and a freezer? A swamp cooler is really the way to go, I'm using one myself right now and it is incredibly efficient and easy to use.

I place my feremnters into a large ice chest it seems to keeps the temp stable longer, still a evaporative cooler technique, but once the water gets chilly, even with the lid open, it stays around 64° if I point the fan at it it will get down to almost 60° within a few hours, add some ice bottles and even cooler yet. I'm thinking about making a insulated foam collar for the ice chest kinda like a keezer but just to keep a lid on things and keep it cool longer.

+1 on the Swamp Cooler. I just started this a week ago and I am amazed at the steady temps. It is right at 70F and I haven't had to do anything. Great idea on who ever came up with it.

If you're not using electricity at all, and you can't get ice, I don't know that there's anything you can do really. Maybe dig a really deep hole.

If you don't have a fridge/freezer, how are you planning on chilling the beer to drink? Honestly, I'm really confused here.

Actually, I was thinking I may need to dig a big hole and put a large cooler inside of it to make this work. I guess I am trying to go back in time as far as brewing beer ;) There's got to be others in my situation out there.

So you have electricity to run a computer with internet access, but you don't have a freezer to freeze a bottle of water?

Well, you could try brewing a few german weizens. Hefeweizens and Dunkleweizens do fairly well in higher temps. Belgian style beers may do pretty well also.

Honestly, if you do dig a big hole, you've got to post some results when it's done. I'm intrigued. :mug:

Also, if you have a lake or stream nearby, you might be able to partially submerge the carboy and secure it somehow. Keep us posted!

Thanks for the replies. Actually I am in town visiting my parents, am on their computer, and am just starting to put my system together. No internet at my cabin (although looking into a satellite connection.) I have a small propane refrigerator (think college dorm size) that I can keep beer, veggies, leftovers, etc. cold, but not much else. Looking into a larger propane fridge, but they are spendy and almost impossible to find used. It is not practical to run regular electric refrigerators/freezes on a generator. The fuel would kill you as well as the noise. This time of year, I can leave most food stuff outside in coolers and it stays cold, but that's quickly changing as we get into summer. In winter I would be fighting sub-freezing temperatures. Not that I am complaining ;)

This is all a slow process- I built my cabin out of my own trees on 20 acres, in the process of building a larger barn, clearing garden spaces, building fences, etc., etc. I plan to experiment with wine grapes as well.

I'd really like to experiement with brewing "off-the-grid" and not depend on an energy source to maintain fermenting temps. By the way- what if you let the temperature drop into the 50's, 40's, or even 30's while fermenting? Would you just slow down the process or stop it altogether? Maybe I need to pull out my old textbooks.

For now I am thinking of digging a substantial hole- I have a large tractor so that's not a problem, putting in some large coolers, and cover the hole will some kind of insulating material. I could add water to the coolers and monitor the temps. Sound like a plan? I hope I didn't put you all to sleep ;)

Shastapk...

You don't really need ice if you can just keep the water in the mid to high 60's in a water bath. I'm using a $10 38 gallon bin that I squeeze two 7.9 gallon fermenters in. There's probably 35 gallons total in there (including beer), which will be slow to fluctuate with the surrounding temps. If your well water is fairly cold then it should work. Work something out.

38_gallon_fermentation_box.jpg

38_gallon_fermentation_7_9_gallon_buckets.jpg

Oh +1 for living off the grid! I've been doing my research lately- for wind-mills and solar panels- a sizable upfront investment will give you plenty of kWh's...

Back